Posted by chica on Thursday, November 18, 2010 at 10:15pm.
Complete the indirect proof.
Given: Rectangle JKLM has an area of 36 square centimeters. Side JK is at least 4 centimeters long.
Prove: KL<=9 centimeters
- Geometry - MathMate, Friday, November 19, 2010 at 1:07pm
p: A=36 ∧ JK≥4
Indirect proof (by contradiction):
We try to establish:
i.e. if p is true, then q is true.
We will assume that p is true and q is false, i.e.
A=36, JK≥4, and that KL>9.
Let JK=4+x : x≥0, and
KL=9+y : y>0
Since y>0, so A>36
which cannot be true.
Therefore the assumption of
p and true and q is false is not valid (contradiction).
Therefore when p is true, q is true, or
if A=36, and JK≥4 then KL≤9.
Answer this Question
More Related Questions
- math - a rectangle is 4 times as long as it is wide. a second rectangle is 5 ...
- Width of a square - A rectangle has an area of 45 square centimeters and a ...
- algebra - a rectangle is 4 times as long as it is wide. a second triangle is 5 ...
- Algebra 1 - A right triangle has a base measuring 5 centimeters & a height of 12...
- math - The area of rectangle ACED is 80 square centimeters, and the area of ...
- 7th grade mathSuppose - Suppose rectangles X and Y are similar. The dimensions ...
- geometry - have an area of 11 square centimeters. I am made up of whole square ...
- Geometry - I;m so lost with these questiona. Any help will be appreciated. 1. ...
- Math - The length of a rectangle is 5 centimeters less than three times it's ...
- math - Find the dimensions of a rectangle having an area of 10 square ...