Posted by Will on Thursday, November 18, 2010 at 8:25pm.
Block B in the figure below weighs 713 N. The coefficient of static friction between block and table is 0.20. Assume that the cord between B and the knot is horizontal. Find the maximum weight of block A for which the system will be stationary.
Physics - bobpursley, Thursday, November 18, 2010 at 8:36pm
Where is the knot? where is block A
Physics - Will, Thursday, November 18, 2010 at 8:47pm
the knot is inbetween block b and the wall. block a hangs from the knot. the knot is connected to the wall by a rope attached to the wall at 30 degrees from the horizontal
Physics - bobpursley, Thursday, November 18, 2010 at 8:56pm
OK, break the problem into two parts, the rope tension into vertical and horizontal parts.
Since the wall and block both support the vertical equally, the vertical down force on the blockB is 1/2 weightA.
So forcefrictionB= mu*forcenormal
now, that force of friction is opposing the horizontal part of tension.
horizontal: Tension*cosTheta, but
or tension= .5Ma*g*sinTheta
solve for MassA
Physics - Will, Thursday, November 18, 2010 at 9:01pm
is Ma the mass of block a?
Physics - Will, Thursday, November 18, 2010 at 9:09pm
i still couldn't get the answer either
Answer This Question
More Related Questions
- Physics - Block B in the figure weighs 739 N. The coefficient of static friction...
- physics - Block B weighs 708 N. The coefficient of static friction between block...
- Physics - Block B weighs 716 N. The coefficient of static friction between block...
- Physics - Block A is 4.5 kg and Block B is 2.25 kg. a. determine the mass of ...
- @ elena - In the figure the coefficient of static friction between mass (MA) and...
- Physics - Block A in the figure weighs 48.0N . The coefficient of static ...
- Physics - the only part i cant figure out is the max static friction force that ...
- Physics - A block of mass m1 is on top of a block of mass m2. Block 2 is ...
- physics - A 450 g block is at rest on a horizontal surface. The coefficient of ...
- Physics - When the three blocks in the figure below are released from rest, they...