Posted by Frank on Wednesday, November 17, 2010 at 8:57pm.
At what two points do the graphs of y=2x^2-5x-12 and y=1/2x^2-3x+4 intersect? explain your reasoning.
- Algebra - bobpursley, Wednesday, November 17, 2010 at 8:59pm
They have the same y, and x.
set them equal
combine terms, solve for x (both values), then compute y for each x.
- Algebra - Frank, Wednesday, November 17, 2010 at 9:03pm
when i combine the like terms i don't know what the next step is
- Algebra - Reiny, Wednesday, November 17, 2010 at 9:04pm
set y = y
2x^2 - 5x - 12 = (1/2)x^2 - 3x + 4
I don't like fractions, so multiply each term by 2
4x^2 - 10x - 24 = x^2 - 6x + 8
3x^2 -4x - 32 = 0
(x - 4)(3x + 8) = 0
x = 4 or x = -8/3
if x = 4, y = 32 - 20 - 12 = 0
if x = -8/3
y = 128/9 +40/3 - 12 = 140/9
I could have subbed into the other equation to obtain the same y values, since we set them equal
two points are(4,0) and (-8/3, 140/9)
Answer This Question
More Related Questions
- Math - The graphs of y= x^2 - 8x - 35 and y= -2(x^2) + 16x +3 intersect in two ...
- Math/Algebra - The graphs of y=3-x^2+x^3 and y=1+x^2+x^3 intersect in multiple ...
- Algebra - What are the coordinates of the points where the graphs of f(x)=x^3-x...
- calculus - Consider the graphs of y = 3x + c and y^2 = 6x, where c is a real ...
- Algebra (Math) - Without graphing, name the ordered pair where the graphs of the...
- Math - Hello, can anyone help me with this one question? What are the two ...
- math - What are the coordinates of the points where the graphs of f(x)=x^3-x^2+x...
- TRIG - Sketch the graphs of y=cos 2x and y= -0.5 over the domain -pi<x<pi...
- math - georgia is constructing a line perpendicular to xz at point x.with x as a...
- Algebra 1--Please, check my answer! - At how many points does the graph of y = (...