Posted by Cory on Tuesday, November 16, 2010 at 9:46pm.
What is the total force on the bottom of a swimming pool 22.0 m by 8.9 m whose uniform depth is 1.6 m?
What is the absolute pressure on the bottom of a swimming pool?
What will be the pressure against the side of the pool near the bottom?
physics - MathMate, Tuesday, November 16, 2010 at 11:01pm
Pressure at depth 1.6m
= 1000 kg/m³ * 9.8 m/s² * 1.6 m
= 15,680 N/m²
Force = pressure * area
Hydrostatic pressure acts equally in all directions, i.e. downwards and sideways.
physics - Cory, Tuesday, November 16, 2010 at 11:09pm
That didn't give me the correct answer
physics - MathMate, Wednesday, November 17, 2010 at 11:34am
What did you get?
physics - MathMate, Wednesday, November 17, 2010 at 11:38am
Sorry, I didn't read properly.
The question requested absolute pressure, which includes atmospheric pressure, equal to about 103.59 kPa.
Watch out for units when you add hydrostatic pressure in N/m² (=Pa) to atmospheric pressure in kPa.
physics - george, Friday, July 1, 2011 at 2:46am
What is the pressure acting on your body if you dive down to a depth of 3.4 m?
physics - Chris, Tuesday, July 19, 2011 at 2:30pm
P fluid=r x h x g wher h =3.4m
P total =P atmospheric + P fluid
Normal atmospheric pressure = 1.01 x 10^5
Answer This Question
More Related Questions
- Physics - What is the total force on the bottom of a swimming pool 27.5m by 9.0m...
- physics - What is the total force on the bottom of a swimming pool 20.5 m by 8.0...
- physic - An in-ground swimming pool has the dimensions 20 m x 15 m. It is filled...
- Physics - 1. The water pressure in a kitchen faucet is 3.43 x 10^5 N/m^2. How ...
- Physics - A swimming pool 16.0 m by 9.1 m and uniform depth is 2.0 m. What will ...
- physics - The atmospheric pressure above a swimming pool changes from 771 to 772...
- Physics - A swimming pool has dimensions 26 m x 32 m and a flat bottom. When the...
- Physics - The atmospheric pressure above a swimming pool changes from 755 to ...
- geometry - The sides and bottom of a swimming pool are to be lined with vinyl to...
- physics - a sound generator is set up 5 m above the diving end of a swimming ...