Posted by MEG on Monday, November 15, 2010 at 9:06pm.
A long rectangular sheet of metal, 12 inches wide, is to be made into a rain gutter by turning up two sides so that they are perpendicular to the sheet. How many inches should be turned up to give the gutter its greatest capacity?
- calculus - Reiny, Monday, November 15, 2010 at 9:44pm
All we have to consider is the area of the cross-section, since the length is a constant.
let the sides to be turned up at both ends be x inches long
let the remaining base be y inches
2x + y = 12
y = 12-2x
area = xy = x(12-2x) = 12x - 2x^2
d(area)/dx = 12 - 4x = 0 for a max of area
4x = 12
x = 3
So the turn-ups should be 3 inches
- calculus - profkn, Tuesday, November 16, 2010 at 1:23am
Greatest capacity will be achieved when the area of cross section will be maximum.
Let X be the base ,so (12-X)/2 will be the height.
Area= Base x height= X(12-X)/2
Following the maximum theory, we differentiate the area w.r.t X and equate it to zero.
d/dX of(Area)=(12-2X)/2 =0
or X=6 inches(base)
so, height= (12-6)/2 = 3 inches
Answer this Question
- pre-calc - construction of a rain gutter: a piece of rectangular sheet metal is ...
- Pre-Calc) - a piece of rectangular sheet metal is 20 in wide. It's to be made ...
- Math Wrod Problem - 1. A long strip of copper 8 inches wide is to be made into a...
- geometry - a piece of rectangular sheet metal is 20 in. wide. It is made into a ...
- Algebra - A box is to be formed from a rectangular piece of sheet metal by ...
- spc - a long strip of sheet metal 12 inches wide is to be formed into an open ...
- math - You are designing a rain gutter made from a piece of sheet metal that is...
- Math - You have to wrap gift boxes for your club project. Each box is 4.5 ...
- Algebra - You have to wrap gift boxes for your club project. Each box is 4.5 ...
- Algebra Word Plob..PLEASE HELP - You have to wrap gift boxes for your club ...