Please help! My Mom and I are disagreeing! Jazz began in New Orleans. Verb is began and it is intransitive. 2) Jazz musicians played by ear. Verb is played and it is transitive.My Mom thinks it is intransitive. 3)They played blues and spirituals. Verb is played and it is intransitive. My Mom thinks it is transitive. Who is correct?
English - Ms. Sue, Monday, November 15, 2010 at 9:04pm
2. Score one for Mom! She's right. The verb "played" doesn't have a direct object. Nothing answers WHAT after the verb.
3. Score another one for Mom!! :-)
The direct objects are "blues and spirituals."
English - Writeacher, Monday, November 15, 2010 at 9:07pm
The verb "play" can be transitive or intransitive. Same thing with "begin."
1. intransitiven (no direct object)
2. intransitive (no direct object)
3. transitive (has a direct object)
english - Jazz began in new orleans, Tuesday, January 5, 2016 at 6:50pm
English - Ivy, Tuesday, April 12, 2016 at 9:16pm
Having trouble, is this sentence transitive or intransitive? "Many musicians put their hearts into their music"
english - Anonymous, Tuesday, January 24, 2017 at 8:22pm