posted by Reed on .
Please help! My Mom and I are disagreeing! Jazz began in New Orleans. Verb is began and it is intransitive. 2) Jazz musicians played by ear. Verb is played and it is transitive.My Mom thinks it is intransitive. 3)They played blues and spirituals. Verb is played and it is intransitive. My Mom thinks it is transitive. Who is correct?
2. Score one for Mom! She's right. The verb "played" doesn't have a direct object. Nothing answers WHAT after the verb.
3. Score another one for Mom!! :-)
The direct objects are "blues and spirituals."
The verb "play" can be transitive or intransitive. Same thing with "begin."
1. intransitiven (no direct object)
2. intransitive (no direct object)
3. transitive (has a direct object)
Having trouble, is this sentence transitive or intransitive? "Many musicians put their hearts into their music"