Posted by Donni on Monday, November 15, 2010 at 7:07pm.
i have very little information in my math book on the following questions. can you either tell me the answer or a link where i can find my own answer. thanks
How do you know if a quadratic equation will have one, two, or no solutions?
How do you find a quadratic equation if you are only given the solution?
algebra - Henry, Thursday, November 18, 2010 at 5:34pm
1. b^2 < 4ac: 2 imaginary solutions.
b^2 = 4ac: 1 real solution.
b^2 > 4ac: 2 real soutions.
2. Let's take a given Eq and solution
sets and use the solutions to derive the Eq.
Eq: y = 2x^2 + 5x + 2.
Solution set: x = -1/2, and x = -2.
x = -1/2,
x + 1/2 = 0.
x = -2,
x + 2 = 0.
(x + 1/2) (x + 2) = 0,
Multiply the 2 binomials:
x^2 + 2x + x/2 + 1 = 0,
x^2 + 5x/2 + 1 = 0,
Multiply both sides by 2 to eliminate the fraction and get:
2x^2 + 5x + 2 = 0.
The derived Eq is equivalent to the
Answer This Question
More Related Questions
- Family Consumer Sciences - One of the questions on a worksheet I must answer is ...
- precalculus - can you check my answers? Find Pk + 1 if Pk = 7 + 13 + 19 + ...+[6...
- algebra - 1)Solve by factoring:5x^2=4-19x answer=-4,1/5 2)Which quadratic ...
- Algebra - I am solving sytems of equations algrbraically. I have tried several ...
- math algebra - Part 1: Which part of the quadratic formula tells you whether the...
- Math - I can't seem remember the rules for this.Can someone please help me with ...
- can you check my answers precalculus - can you check my answers? Find Pk + 1 if ...
- History - What was the background of many women who became leader in social ...
- To NEO LOUIS - Math - I've removed your very complicated post, for which you ...
- words and reference - what do these 2 words mean please.? can you please help ...