Posted by sunny on Monday, November 15, 2010 at 11:48am.
A cylindrical oil-storage tank is to be constructed for which the following costs apply:
cost per square meter
metal for sides $30.00 (cost per square meter)
combined costs of concrete base and metal bottom $37.50(cost per square meter)
top 7.50 (cost per square meter)
The tank is to be constructed with dimensions such that the cost is minimum for whetever capacity is selected.
a) one possible approch to slecting the capacity is to build the tank large enough for an additional cubic meter of capacity to cost $8.(note that this does not mean $8 per cubic meter average for the entire tank.) what is the optimal diameter and optimal height of the tank?
b) instead of the approach used in part(a), the tank is to be of such a size that the cost will be $9 per cubic meter average for the entire storage capacity of the tank. set up the lagrange multiplier equations and verify that they are satisfied by an optimal diameter of 20 m and optimal height of 15m.
- the lagrange multiplier equation - MathMate, Monday, November 15, 2010 at 4:59pm
The cost function is given by:
The volume, is given by
The "Lagrangian" is therefore obtained by including the constraint for a particular volume Vo,
Vo = πr²h
C(x,y) = 15π(4rh+3r²) + λ(πr&^sup2;h-Vo)
The first order conditions can be obtained by partially differentiating with respect to each of the variables, r and h, and equate to zero:
15π(4h+6r)+λ(2πrh) = 0 ...(1)
15π(4r) + λ(πr²) = 0 ...(2)
I will leave it to you to verify the optimal diameter and height.
Hint: λ should equal -6 in this case.
Also, verify the global unit cost per volume to be $9/m³.
Numerous references on the subject are available, for example:
Answer this Question
- lagrange multipliers - A cylindrical oil-storage tank is to be constructed for ...
- math-optimal diameterand height - A cylindrical oil-storage tank is to be ...
- Calculus AB/AP - A tank with a rectangular base and rectangular sides is to be ...
- calculus - A tank with a rectangular base and rectangular sides is to be open at...
- math - Suppose that you are responsible for predicting the cost of constructing ...
- Calc 1 (Optomization) - A rectangular storage container with an open top is to ...
- Calculus - A box is constructed out of two different types of metal. The metal ...
- calculus - A box is constructed out of two different types of metal. The metal ...
- Calc - A rectangular storage container with an open top is to have a volume of ...
- math - A box with a rectangular base and rectangular sides is to be open at the ...