Posted by Alexandra on Sunday, November 14, 2010 at 6:07pm.
In the study of biochemical processes, a common buffering agent is the weak base trishydroxymethylaminomethane, often abbreviated as Tris. At 25 C, Tris has a pKb of 5.91.
The hydrochloride can be abbreviated as Tris HCl.
What volume of 10.0 M NaOH is needed to prepare a buffer with a pH of 7.79 using 31.52 g of Tris HCl?
I found this answer to be 6.6755 mL
This is what I can't figure out:
The buffer from Part A is diluted to 1.00L . To half of it (500 mL ), you add 0.0250 mol of hydrogen ions without changing the volume. What is the pH of the final solution?
- Chemistry - DrBob222, Sunday, November 14, 2010 at 9:36pm
I don't believe your answer to the first part is correct.
pKa = 14-pKb = 8.09
7.79 = 8.09 + log[(base)/(acid)]
B/A = 0.501 or
base = 0.501*acid
If acid is 31.52 g then we start with 31.52/157.6 (check my molar mass) = 0.2 mole acid; therefore,
base = 0.2 mole x (0.501) = 0.1 mole for base.
With 10 M NaOH, we have M = moles/L
10M = 0.1/L or L = 0.1/10 = 0.01 L = 10 mL of the 10 M NaOH (and not the 6.6755 you calculated but check me out on that).
For part B, I would do it this way.
Diluting to 1.00 L and take 1/2 that means we have 0.05 moles acid and 0.05 mole base.
..........TRIS.HCl ==> B... +... H^+
initial:...0.05 mole....0.05 mole....0
Then use the HH equation to calculate the final pH. I get
pH = 8.09 + log(0.0250/0.0750) = 7.61
Check my work carefully.
Answer This Question
More Related Questions
- Chemsitry - Tris is an abbreviation for tris (hydroxymethyl) aminomethane, which...
- Biochemistry - How do you prepare 100 mL of a 0.1 M TRIS-HCl buffer with a pH 7....
- Biochem - Calculate the amount of Tris(hydroxlmethyl)aminomethane(Tris) ...
- biochemistry - how many grams each of tris and tris HCl are needed to make up ...
- chemistry - Prepare 1.5 liters of 0.25 M Tris buffer, pH 7.5. Useful information...
- BCH - How many gramms of Tris and Tris Hcl are needed to make up 500ml of 1m ...
- Chemistry - Calculate the pH of a solution prepared by dissolving 10.0 g of tris...
- chemistry - Tris(hydroxymethyl)aminomethane, commonly called TRIS or Trizma, is ...
- chemistry - An enzyme-catalyzed reaction is carried out in a 50-mL solution ...
- chemistry lab - An enzyme-catalyzed reaction is carried out in a 50-mL solution ...