Posted by Max on Saturday, November 13, 2010 at 8:40pm.
solving linear equations with 3 variables
this one should be so easy but i don't get which equation i should pick first?!
- Algebra - Damon, Saturday, November 13, 2010 at 8:52pm
It does not matter which you pick.
However since there is one times x in each it is easy to eliminate x.
x + y = 1300
x + 2z = 1400
y - 2 z = -100
then do the first and the third for example
x + y = 1300
x + y + z = 1600
-z = -300
or z = 300
That was just lucky that there is no y term
If there were we would use the two equations left with y and z to get rid of one or the other.
now with z = 300 go back and use the one in x and z to get x
x + 2(300) = 1400
I think you can take it from there.
- Algebra - Max, Saturday, November 13, 2010 at 9:59pm
You subtract? arent you supposed to add?
- Algebra - Jen, Saturday, November 13, 2010 at 10:06pm
A much easier way to do this would be:
Look at 1 and 2. Since x+y=1300 and x+y+z=1600, z obviously equals 300. Now substitute that back in #2.
x+2(300)=1400, x+600=1400, x=800.
Now substitute x and z back in #3.
x+y+z=1600, 800+y+300=1600, 1100+y=1600, y=500
- Algebra - Max, Saturday, November 13, 2010 at 10:15pm
THanks Damon and Jen! (especially Jen ;)
Answer This Question
More Related Questions
- Algebra I DONT KNOW HOW TO DO 3 VARIABLES - Solving Linear Equations and ...
- algebra2 - solve the equation: First: x + 3y = 5 Second: 3x - y = 5 should i use...
- Algebra - Solving Linear Equations and Inequalities Solve by eliminating x (this...
- Algebra 2 - Solving systems of linear equations in three variables. Ok so i dont...
- Algebra SOLVING LINEAR EQUATIONS AND INEQUALITIES - Please help Im am Grade 5 ...
- math - Find an orthonormal basis for the subspace of R^3 consisting of all ...
- math - can someone correct these for me. 8x –4y = 16 y = 2x –4 My answer: This ...
- Algebra - It does, thanks. I'm currently working on solving algebraic equations ...
- quick question regarding equations - I know there are methods out there but what...
- math - 1) Why should we clear fractions when solving linear equations and ...