Posted by Jannie on Saturday, November 13, 2010 at 4:32pm.
When the numerator and denominator of a fraction are each increased by 5, the
value of the fraction becomes 3/5
When the numerator and denominator of that same
fraction are each decreased by 5, the fraction is then 1/5
Find the original fraction.
(Hint: Let the fraction be p/q) Write in simultaneous equations
- Maths - Reiny, Saturday, November 13, 2010 at 5:03pm
(p+5)/(q+5) = 3/5 or
5p + 25 = 3q + 15
5p - 3q = -10
(p-5)/(q-5) = 1/5 or
5p - 25 = q - 5
5p - q = 20
solve the two equations by adding them
- Maths - lilly, Thursday, January 26, 2012 at 7:08pm
help me in math trish
- Maths - Anonymous, Friday, November 7, 2014 at 11:31am
The denominator of a rational number is greater than the numerator by 4. If the numerator is increased by 2 and the denominator is decreased by 1, the number becomes 7/8. Find the original rational number.
Answer This Question
More Related Questions
- MATH - the numerator of a fraction is one-half the denominator! If the numerator...
- MATHS - The numerator of a fraction is 4 less than twice the denominator. If ...
- maths - The denominator of a fraction is 4 more than the numerator. If both the ...
- Algebra - The numerator of a certain fraction is 3 times the denominator. If the...
- maths - if the denominator of fraction is 6 more thanthe numerator if the ...
- Maths - The numerator of a fraction is 4 less than its denominator if the ...
- Maths - The numerator of a fraction is 7 less than the denominator. If the ...
- math - The numerator of a fractionis 5 less than twice the denominator. If the ...
- Math-Algebra - The numerator of a fraction is 3 less than the denominator. If 5 ...
- Math - pg.3 18.Which, if any of the following statements is always true? A. If ...