Posted by AMY on Friday, November 12, 2010 at 5:39pm.
Hello! quick question.
why the line y = -3 is a horizontal line.
describe how this line sits on the Cartesian (coordinate) plane.
I have tried a few thoughts on this. Firstly the horizontal sits on the y intercept. The graph y = b is a horizontal line. -3 is to the left of the origin which is 0. It follows the order of a number line. Negative numbers to the left and positive numbers to the right. This is all I have so far. Did I get close??
Your help is appreciated!!
- Linear Equation question - Henry, Friday, November 12, 2010 at 9:21pm
If you followed a line that has a slant or slope, you'll notice that the
x and y co-ordinate are both changing.
If you followed a vertical line,only the y co-ordinate will change.If you
followed a horizontal line, the x co-
ordinate only will change. The y co-
ordinate will be constant(y = c). Therefore, when x is constant,its' a
vertical line; and when y is constant,
its' a horizontal line.
In your case, y = c = -3, and its' a hor. line. Since y is constant, it re-
mains the same no matter what value
you assign to x.
Use the following points to graph the
Eq.: y = -3.
(-4 , -3) , (-2 , -3) , (0 , -3),
(2 , -3).
I hope this will help.
- Linear Equation question - AMY, Saturday, November 13, 2010 at 6:19am
Thank you Henry
Answer this Question
More Related Questions
- math - how do you the equation of a line in a coordinate plane? Hello Tim, if I ...
- Math - Okay heres the pic. There is a plane with points B,D, and E.those [oints...
- Geo Hons - Okay heres the pic. There is a plane with points B,D, and E.those [...
- Geometry - Okay heres the pic. There is a plane with points B,D, and E.those [...
- REPOST!PLZ HELP!ALGEBRA! - You give up too easily. How? I posted how to get the ...
- Math 10 - 1 more question.... how would I make this equation perpendicular? The ...
- Linear Algebra - Last number from the sample test! A plane P passes by the ...
- Geometry HELP!!! - What happens to the graph of the line y = 3x -2 when the ...
- algebra - In a coordinate plane, the points (2,4) and (3,-1) are on a line. ...
- Math - This question makes reference to an orthonormal basis (i,j), and an ...