Posted by Leslie on Thursday, November 11, 2010 at 4:05pm.
In the paragraphs below, look for shifts in verb tense. In each paragraph, cross out these verb shifts and replace them so that there is verb tense consistency. Write in the correct form of the verb above what you have crossed out.
1. I watched the small children with their mother as they threw bread to the ducks. The ducks catch the bread in their beaks. The children cheer loudly. This makes me happy and I smiled. I will go home happy. When I went home I write a simple poem about my day.
In this paragraph i crossed out CATCH and changed it to CATCHED. CHEER changed to CHEERED and WRITE changed to WROTE. Am i correct? I was unsure about the WILL GO, should that be changed?
2.In Smith’s new book “Dragon” the theme of driving ambition is important. The main character, Big John, takes the prophecy of his friend, Jacko, seriously and developed a dreadful plan which leads to death and misery. He believed the plan was foolproof but he is wrong. He will encounter many obstacles on his journey. At first Big John believes his plan was working but he is wrong. This book was not up to Smith’s usual standard.
This paragraph should be in present tense but i dont know what to change. Help.
- Grammar - Writeacher, Thursday, November 11, 2010 at 4:25pm
1. The past tense of "catch" is not "catched"!!!
"will go" ~~> "went"
- Grammar - Leslie, Thursday, November 11, 2010 at 4:38pm
1. "catch" will change to "caught"?
developed --> develops
believed --> believes
was --> is
will encounter --> encouenters
was working --> are working
was --> is
Are these correct?
- Grammar - Writeacher, Thursday, November 11, 2010 at 5:18pm
Yes, good corrections!
Answer this Question
English - Ok, so I never really got grammar that well and I'm terrible when it ...
English grammar - The bar graph below show the TV viewing habits of Koreans. ...
Semniar MGT - Structure follows strategy.” Do you agree or disagree with this ...
Grammar Composition - How do you summarize 3 paragraphs of a story?
grammar - Below the main level, we have a large playroom. What part of speech is...
help please!: - All of the following statements about conclusion paragraphs are ...
grammar - The five sample paragraphs are below. choose two at random to read. ...
grammar - What part of speech is the word "Below" used in the following sentence...
English - After which word should you place a comma? All of us are very eager to...
grammar - 5. Identify which of the two sentences below contains a verb agreement...