Posted by Carolyn on Wednesday, November 10, 2010 at 5:48pm.
I am confused on how to identify a sentence as a complex sentence or a simple sentence. The sentence is "The first recorded trip to the Yellowstone geysers was made in 1807 by John Colter." I think it is simple...but am not sure if there is a subordinate clause in there or not
English grammar - Writeacher, Wednesday, November 10, 2010 at 5:57pm
The first thing to do is to identify the clauses, both independent and dependent. Remember that a clause has a subject and a verb.
The first recorded trip to the Yellowstone geysers was made in 1807 by John Colter.
In this sentence, there is one subject and one verb; therefore, it's a simple sentence.
one independent clause = simple
two independent clauses joined correctly = compound
one independent and one dependent clause = complex
two independent clauses joined correctly plus one dependent clause = compound-complex
English grammar - Mrs W, Wednesday, November 10, 2010 at 6:13pm
thank you for the link!
English grammar - Carolyn, Wednesday, November 10, 2010 at 6:18pm
thank you....that makes sense now
English grammar - Writeacher, Wednesday, November 10, 2010 at 6:23pm
You're very welcome.
This is an excellent website:
It's easy to navigate by clicking on Index and finding what you need in the alphabetical listings.
Answer This Question
More Related Questions
- English-Grammar - Although he was born in Scotland, he became a hero of the ...
- English - After all, I have always been a night owl, and I prefer moonlight to ...
- English - My name, Cynthia, is from a Greek word for moon. Identify the term the...
- English-Grammar - John Paul Jones moved to America to avoid a trial that ...
- English - I was not surprised when I learned that. Identify the sentence... ...
- English-Grammar - After the war, American shipping became vulnerable to attacks ...
- English Help!!! Correcting Grammar - Choose the word in the following sentences ...
- English - A sentence that consists of two or more main clauses and no ...
- MORE LANGUAGE ARTS URGENT - Because she wants to go to medical school, Becky ...
- Grammar - Hi there, I am stuck on some Grammar questions, and need some help. 1...