Posted by Sara on Tuesday, November 9, 2010 at 1:46pm.
1. Write the formulas of the principal molecular or ionic species present in an aqueous solution of each substance.
(a) Sodium Chloride, NaCl
Na+ + Cl-
(b) Hydrogen bromide, HBr
(c) Iron (III) sulfate, Fe2(SO4)3
(d) Ethanol, CH3CH2OH
(e) Glucose, C6H12O6
(f) Ammonium acetate, NH4CH3COO
- Chemistry - DrBob222, Tuesday, November 9, 2010 at 1:48pm
HBr is a strong acid and ionizes 100%.
Fe2(SO4)3 is completely soluble in water and is present as the ions.
Same for CH3COONH4
The others are ok.
- Chemistry - Sara, Tuesday, November 9, 2010 at 1:56pm
2. What are spectator ions in chemical reactions
- Chemistry - DrBob222, Tuesday, November 9, 2010 at 5:01pm
The spectator ions are those that cancel when writing the net ionic equation. For example, an acid/base reaction between HCl and NaOH is
HCl(aq) + NaOH(aq) ==> NaCl(aq) + H2O(l)
We turn that into an ionic equation--you can add the aq part to each.
H^+ + Cl^- + Na^+ + OH^- ==> Na^+ + Cl^- + H2O
You see Cl^- is on both sides and those cancel.
You see Na^+ on both sides. Cancel them.
H^+(aq) + OH^-(aq) ==> H2O(l) as the net ionic equation. The Na^+ and Cl^- are spectator ions.
Answer this Question
More Related Questions
- Chemistry 110 - Write the formulas of the principal molecular or ionic species ...
- general chemistry - I need the oxidation half reactions, reduction half ...
- Chemistry - The most abundant cation in seawater is the sodium ion. The ...
- Chem - This is a lab concerning activity serious of metals and calculation of ...
- chemistry - Aqueous solutions of iron (III) sulphate and barium hydroxide are ...
- Chemistry; Please help - Write formulas for the following. 1. potassium ...
- chemistry / help please - For each reaction,which ion in the precipitate was ...
- CHEMISTRY (HELP) - Which of the following is true about the reaction between ...
- Chemistry - Which of the following is true about the reaction between sodium ...
- chemistry - predict the outcome of mixing aqueous solutions of the following ...