Posted by Sarah on Sunday, November 7, 2010 at 7:46pm.
Four tubes are set up in the lab at sea level as shown by the figure. The letter under each tube corresponds the question with the same letter.
1 atm = 101300 Pa = 101300 N/m2
ρwater = 1000 kg/m3
(a) What is the pressure pushing down on the surface of the water in tube (a) from the outside?
P = Pa *
(b) Tube (b) is also filled with water, A1 is 0.04 m2 and A2 is 0.22 m2 Two pistons are placed in both ends of the tube and forces, F1 and F2 are exerted on the pistons so that they remain at the same height. If F1 = 20 N what is F2?
F2 = N *
(c) Tube (c) is again filled with water. A1 and A2 are the same as in part (b). Two pistons apply different forces to the water in the tube so that the water in the right side of the tube is a height h = 0.51 m above the height of the water in the left side of the tube. If F2 = 143 N what is F1?
F1 = N *
HELP: What is the expression for the pressure difference?
(d) Now two fluids are placed in the same tube (d). Both sides are open to the atmosphere without pistons. One fluid is water and the other (on top of the water in the left branch of the tube) is an oil of unknown density. l = 111 mm and d = 5.7 mm. What is the density of the oil?
densityoil = kg/m3
HELP: Find two expressions for the pressure at the water/oil interface and solve for the density of the oil.
I got a, b, and c but I just need help with d
physics - bobpursley, Sunday, November 7, 2010 at 7:49pm
IF this is a U tube, the weights of the liquids has to be the same. Weight= density*height*area
so the height will be something like this (you workout the math)
physics - mr. clinton, Monday, November 8, 2010 at 5:05am
physics - Taras, Sunday, November 28, 2010 at 7:05pm
Can you please explane C ???
physics - John, Friday, November 4, 2011 at 12:47am
Hey Sarah, can you explain how you got C??
physics - Chukwuka, Wednesday, November 5, 2014 at 3:49pm
Guys, here how she solved C:
first: Multiply the buoyancy, gravity, and height to get 4998.
2nd: take 143/.22= 650.
3rd: Take the sum= 5648.
4th: Multiply by .04 and BOOM!
FINAL ANSWER: 225.92
Answer This Question
More Related Questions
- Physics - What is the gas pressure inside the box shown in the figure? I have a ...
- Physics(volume flow rate) - Imagine a house with two bathrooms/showers: one ...
- Chemistry - one morning you are given 3 test tubes of aqueous solutions of ...
- Physics - A block of mass 20 g sits at rest on a plate that is at the top of the...
- Science 10 - I was given a question of "The ollowing apperatua was set up and ...
- Urgent - Physics - The U-shaped glass tube in the figure below contains two ...
- Physics - it didn't let me put the link to image.. A tube of radius 5 cm is ...
- Science - 2 ml of stock antibiotic (64 mg/ml) was diluted into a test tube ...
- Microbiology - 2 ml of stock antibiotic (64 mg/ml) was diluted into a test tube ...
- Chemistry - 2 ml of stock antibiotic (64 mg/ml) was diluted into a test tube ...