Posted by MARIAH on Saturday, November 6, 2010 at 5:47pm.
Mattie Evans drove 250 miles in the same amount of time that it took a turbopropeller plane to travel 1250 miles. The speed of the plane was 200 mph faster than the speed of the car. Find the speed of the plane
Algebra - Daneeka, Saturday, November 6, 2010 at 6:46pm
its 450 mph
Algebra - PsyDAG, Sunday, November 7, 2010 at 10:17am
Speed = distance/time
time = distance/speed
Let x = plane speed and y = driving speed
y = x + 200
250/x = 1250/y
Substitute x + 200 for y in second equation and solve for x. Insert that value into the first equation and solve for y. Check by inserting both values into the second equation.
Algebra - Henry, Sunday, November 7, 2010 at 9:30pm
Car speed = X-mi/h,
Plane speed = (X + 200) mi/h,
Eq1: d1 = X*t = 250 mi,
t = 250 / X,
Eq2: d2 = (X + 200)t = 1250 mi.
Substitute 250 / X for t in Eq2:
(X + 200)250/X = 1250,
250 + 50000/X = 1250,
50000 / X = 1250 - 250,
50000 / X = 1000,
1000X = 50000,
X = 50000 / 1000 = 50 mi/h = car speed.
(X + 200) = 250 mi/h = plane speed.
Answer This Question
More Related Questions
- Algebra - Mattie Evans drove 300 miles in the same amount of time that it took a...
- Math - Mattie drove 140 miles in the same amount of time that it took a ...
- MATH Algebra - The speed of a passenger train is 6 mph faster than the speed of ...
- algebra - A plane takes 3 hours to travel 1500 miles with the wind. it can ...
- Algebra - A plane has a cruising speed of 100 miles per hour when there is no ...
- college algebra word problem - Lisa drove 8 miles to pick up her friend Laurie, ...
- Algebra - The speed of a passenger train is 20 mph faster than the speed of a ...
- math - an ultralight plane had been flying for 40 min when a change of wind ...
- math - An airplane flying against the wind travels 100 miles in the same amount ...
- Algebra - The speed of train A is 6 mph slower than the speed of train B. Train ...