Posted by Jarrod on Wednesday, November 3, 2010 at 11:45pm.
Mg(s) + 2 HCl(aq) --> MgCl2(aq) + H2 (g) DeltaH= -4.6x10^2 kJ
How much heat is evolved when 0.598 g of Mg are dissolved in excess HCl?
I'm not sure how to go about this problem. What I thought to do was:
0.598 g x 1 mol Mg/24.31 g Mg x 2 mol HCl/ 1 mol Mg x 36.46 g HCl/ 1 mol HCl = 1.79 g HCl
and from here I am not sure what to do. Somehow I need to incorporate the DeltaH into a formula, I believe.
Chemistry - DrBob222, Thursday, November 4, 2010 at 12:01am
Your approach is to perform a stoichiometry calculation to find the grams HCl but that isn't what the problem is asking. Try something like this.
You know dissolving 1 mole Mg (24.3 g) in HCl produces 4.6E2 kJ. So how much heat will just 0.598 g Mg evolve?
That will be
4.6E2 kJ x 0.598/24.3 = ??
Chemistry - Jarrod, Thursday, November 4, 2010 at 12:21am
So the grams must cancel each other out when we divide and it leaves us with just kJ? So -11.3 kJ
Chemistry - DrBob222, Thursday, November 4, 2010 at 12:32am
Yes, but I notice there are only two significant figures in 4.6E2; therefore, the answer should not contain more than two. I would round 11.3 kJ to 11 kJ energy released (-11 kJ for delta H).
Chemistry - Jarrod, Thursday, November 4, 2010 at 12:52am
Oh that's right, thank you!
Answer This Question
More Related Questions
- Chemistry - If 1.22 grams of magnesium reacts with 100 ml of 6.02 M HCl solution...
- Honors Chemistry - On the same subject as before with the limiting/excess ...
- Chemistry - If Chelcy and Allyson reacted 2.55 grams of Mg with excess ...
- Chemistry - A sample of impure magnesium was analyzed by allowing it to react ...
- chemistry - Consider these reactions where M represents a generic metal 1. 2M(s...
- chemistry - Mg+2Hcl---mgcl2+h2 volume of h2=40ml Hcl is 6M what mass os h is ...
- chemistry - Consider the following reaction: 2H2 (g) + O2 (g) 2H2O (l...
- Chemistry - Magnesium metal reacts with HCl(aq) according to the equation: Mg(s...
- Chemistry - How much heat is evolved when 500kg of Ammonia is evolved according ...
- Chemistry - Hi, Please provide assistance on the following problem. I worked out...