Posted by sophie on Tuesday, November 2, 2010 at 4:42pm.
what does restrictive and nonrestrictive mean???????
- english 6th grade - sophie , Tuesday, November 2, 2010 at 4:47pm
Please help Ms.Sue its a six grade level.
- English 6th grade - Writeacher, Tuesday, November 2, 2010 at 4:50pm
If you are referring to the different clauses and resulting comma uses,
~~ restrictive means that the clause restricts the meaning of the noun it's modifying; example: The lady who is standing over by the painting looks familiar.
~~ non-restrictive means that the clause does not restrict the meaning of the noun it's modifying; it adds information but is not needed to make the sentence clear; example: My older sister, who is standing over by the painting, is looking at us.
- English 6th grade - Ms. Sue, Tuesday, November 2, 2010 at 4:52pm
If you're asking about restrictive and nonrestrictive clauses, study these sites carefully.
- english 6th grade - sophie , Tuesday, November 2, 2010 at 4:58pm
what if it says
Marco, my older brother, likes to play
my older brother is underlined would that be nonrestrictive or restrictive
- english 6th grade - Writeacher, Tuesday, November 2, 2010 at 5:26pm
It's non-restrictive (added information) because Marco is already clearly identified. This is also why there are commas before and after my older brother.
- english 6th grade - rajwinder singh, Tuesday, April 26, 2011 at 6:44pm
ms 226 6th grade homework queens
Answer This Question
More Related Questions
- Clauses - Grammar - Identify all the relative clauses in the following sentences...
- college English - Also, had they of done research on wills and added fact based ...
- english - I need someone to check my answers to see if what I have is correct. I...
- 6th grade vocab - What does the word "predominant" mean? Oh and please don't ...
- Math - At Jefferson School, both 6th grade & 7th grade classes take a math test...
- english - - Computers - English - Foreign Languages - Health - Home Economics - ...
- 6th Grade: English Language Arts - Can you give me a way to remember ALL of the ...
- 6th grade Reading - Worksheet for An Ant's Life and The Best School Year Ever ...
- 6th grade math - what does the |#| mean? Thanks
- 6th grade math - What does this sign mean "| |"