Posted by Lynne on Monday, November 1, 2010 at 9:36pm.
Have 2 questions:
1. Factor Trinomial competely
x^2 + 8x + 53 (reads as x squared plus 8x plus 53) I am thinking it is prime.
4x^2 + 23x - 30=0
(reads 4x squared plus 23x minus 30 equals zero
math - Reiny, Monday, November 1, 2010 at 9:58pm
Factoring a quadratic and solving the corresponding quadratic equation are closely related.
in the first case I would consider solving it as
x^2 + 8x + 53 = 0
since the only factors of 53 are 1 and 53 itself, there is no way we can get that 8 in the middle.
using the formula we get imaginary roots, so the thing does not factor.
4x^2 + 23x - 30 = 0
just use the quadratic formula,
I got x = (-23 ± √1009)/8
math - lynne, Monday, November 1, 2010 at 10:07pm
we haven't used the quadratic formula yet. for #2 i m trying to find the factors of 30 that add to 23. not finding any..any idea
math - lynne, Monday, November 1, 2010 at 10:09pm
the second question reads as 40x squared plus 23x minus 30=0
Answer This Question
More Related Questions
- math - question is 40x^2 + 23x -30 = 0 reads as 40x squared plus 23x minus 30 ...
- math - Simplify completely quantity 6 x squared minus 54 plus 84 over quantity 8...
- Math - How can expression 5 plus 4 squared plus 6 minus 2 squared minus 1 be ...
- Math - Find all the zeroes of the poly 4x cube minus 20x cube plus 23x square ...
- math - when 3a squared minus 7a plus 6 is subtracted from 4 a squared minus 3a ...
- math 176 - please detail all the steps for x squared minus 6xy plus 9y squared ...
- algebra - A circle has the equation x squared plus y squared plus 8 x minus 8 y ...
- please help in math homework - x squared minus 6xy plus 9y squared minus 4z ...
- Algebra w/Trigonometry - How would you solve: 3.5r squared minus 5.5 + 1.5r ...
- math - Here's my question: Determine if each system has one, two, or no ...