Posted by Lynne on Monday, November 1, 2010 at 9:36pm.
Have 2 questions:
1. Factor Trinomial competely
x^2 + 8x + 53 (reads as x squared plus 8x plus 53) I am thinking it is prime.
4x^2 + 23x - 30=0
(reads 4x squared plus 23x minus 30 equals zero
- math - Reiny, Monday, November 1, 2010 at 9:58pm
Factoring a quadratic and solving the corresponding quadratic equation are closely related.
in the first case I would consider solving it as
x^2 + 8x + 53 = 0
since the only factors of 53 are 1 and 53 itself, there is no way we can get that 8 in the middle.
using the formula we get imaginary roots, so the thing does not factor.
4x^2 + 23x - 30 = 0
just use the quadratic formula,
I got x = (-23 ± √1009)/8
- math - lynne, Monday, November 1, 2010 at 10:07pm
we haven't used the quadratic formula yet. for #2 i m trying to find the factors of 30 that add to 23. not finding any..any idea
- math - lynne, Monday, November 1, 2010 at 10:09pm
the second question reads as 40x squared plus 23x minus 30=0
Answer this Question
More Related Questions
- math - question is 40x^2 + 23x -30 = 0 reads as 40x squared plus 23x minus 30 ...
- Algebra - Hi! My name is Jason... today I have 2 problems for you both having to...
- Calc Help - Find the derivative. Express answer in radical notation with no ...
- math - I wold like to know if I have this answer right? Factor the trinomial ...
- Math - My worksheet title reads "Modeling 3-Digit Addition Practice" and then it...
- Math 222 - Please someone help me simplify this problem. My addition/plus key is...
- Algebra - I need help solving the trinomial (x squared minus four x plus ...
- physics - Water is in the big beaker in the figure on the left. Scale 1 reads ...
- algebra 2 - What is the factorization of the trinomial 3x2 plus 27x plus 60?
- math - Simplify completely quantity 6 x squared minus 54 plus 84 over quantity 8...