Posted by ken on Monday, November 1, 2010 at 6:52pm.
a storage bin is shaped like a cylinder with a hemisphere shaped top. the cylinder is 45 inches tall. the volume of the bin is 4131 pi cubic inches. find the radius of the bin.
i think [4(pi)r(cubed)]/3=volume of hemisphere
and h (pi) r squared volume of the cylinder.
[4(pi) r (cubed)/3] + [45 (pi) r squared= volume of bin
[4 r (cubed)/3] + [45 (pi) r squared=volume
how do i solve for r?
sorry, i'm stuck
algebra - bobpursley, Monday, November 1, 2010 at 6:56pm
the volume of a sphere is 4/3 PI r^3, so a hemisphere would be half of that.
If you have an equation such as this,
a r^3 + b r^2 + c=0
it is a third degree equation. I think I would graph
f(r)= a r^3+b r^2+c and see where it crosses the axis, that is a solution.
There are ways to solve cubic equations, but for this, I would graph it.
algebra - ken, Monday, November 1, 2010 at 7:09pm
thanks Mr. Pursley,
graphing it now.
Answer This Question
More Related Questions
- math - The bottom portion of a loading bin is cone shaped. The base radius of ...
- Physics Help - Freshly picked cucumbers are dropped into a bin from a height of ...
- mat 116/algebra - A cylinder has a radius of 5 in. If the volume of the cylinder...
- Math - Find the volume of the figure if the radius of the hemisphere and ...
- math - A rectangular bin 4 feet long, 3 feet wide, and 2 feet high is solidly ...
- Algebra 1 Honors - The volume of a cylinder is 157 cubic inches. The base of the...
- Calculus - Find the radius, volume, and hieght of the right- circlar cylindar ...
- math - The volume of each shape is 250 cubic inches. A) Find the height of a ...
- Algebra - The formula for the volume of a cylinder is: V=πr^2*h If the ...
- math - Juanita is packing a box that is shaped like a rectangular prism.The box ...