Posted by Emily on Friday, October 29, 2010 at 8:05pm.
An auditorium has 50 rows of seats. The first row has 20 seats, the second row has 21, the third row has 22 seats, and so on, each row having one more seat than the previous row. How many seats are there all together?
a. write 2 different expressions for the total number of seats in the auditorium. One expression should use addition: the other should involve multiplication. Write an equation that uses these two expressions.
b. Solve the auditorium problem, explaining your reasoning.
Math - Reiny, Friday, October 29, 2010 at 10:12pm
Your problem is dealing with an arithmetic series, where
a=20 , d=1, and n = 50
Sum(n) = n/2[2a + (n-1)d]
= 25[40 + 49(1)]
Math - sherri, Thursday, April 5, 2012 at 9:33pm
what are two different expressions for the total number of seats in the auditorium
Math - Heather, Wednesday, October 21, 2015 at 2:38pm
Math - ..., Friday, November 13, 2015 at 9:56am
Answer This Question
More Related Questions
- Math - an auditorium has 50 rows of seats. THe first row has 20 seats, the row ...
- Math - An auditorium has 150 rows of seats. The first row has 15 seats, the ...
- math - Determine the seating capacity of an auditorium with 10 rows of seats if ...
- math (plz help) - In a movie theater, theater A has 30 seats in the first row. ...
- Math - An auditorium has 30 rows of seats. It has 20 seats on the first row, 24 ...
- math - In a movie theater, Theater A has 30 seats in the first row. Each next ...
- math - An auditorium has 49 rows of seats. The first row contains 40 seats. As ...
- maths - seats are arranged in rows in a auditorium.each row has 5 more than the ...
- math- Algebra 2 - An auditorium has 49 rows of seats. The first row contains 40 ...
- Math (arithmetic) - The total seating capacity of an auditorium is 1,065. The ...