Posted by john on Thursday, October 28, 2010 at 4:42pm.
sam has $3.50 in dimes and quarters. he has 23 quarters all together. how many of each does he have?
will has $2.40 in dimes and nickels. he has 30 coins all together. how many of each does he have?
- ALgebra - Henry, Saturday, October 30, 2010 at 1:40am
1. Your prob. says sam has 23qtrs,but
I'm assuming you meant 23 coins; he can't have 23 qtrs if he only has 3.50.
x dimes, y qtrs,
Eq1: x + y = 23 coins,
0.10x + 0.25y = 3.50,
Multiply both sides by 20:
Eq2: 2x + 5y = 70.
Solve the 2 Eqs:
x + y = 23,
2x + 5y = 70,
Multiply the 1st Eq by -2:
-2x -2y = -46,
2x + 5y = 70,
Add the 2 Eqs:
3y = 24,
y = 8 Qtrs.
Substitute 8 for y in EQ1:
X + 8 = 23,
X = 23 - 8,
X = 15 Dimes.
2. Same procedure as prob. 1.
Answer this Question
- Math - Ruthie has 10 coins, all either nickels, dimes, or quarters. She has N ...
- algebra - nicole has $2.20 in nickels and quarters. she has 16 coins all ...
- math - Jo has 37 coins (all nickels, dimes and quarters) worth $5.50. She has 4 ...
- word problem money - you have $ 1.55 in dimes and quarters. find all the ...
- algebra - Mary has $4.00 in nickels, dimes, and quarters. If she has twice as ...
- algebra - A collection of nickels, dimes, and quarters amounts to $9.50. If ...
- algebra - How do I figure out this problem? You have 37 coins (all nickels , ...
- algebra - Please help....struggling with word problems and please explain how to...
- College Algebra - A coin jar contains nickels, dimes and quarters. There are 46 ...
- Algebra I - lauren has 40 coins all together, all dimes, nickles, and quarters ...