Posted by mysterychicken on Tuesday, October 26, 2010 at 4:38pm.
27. Amorphous solids have crystal structures.- F?
32. Pure, crystalline solids freeze and melt at the same temperature.- F
34. Water expands as it freezes.- T
Chemistry - bobpursley, Tuesday, October 26, 2010 at 4:45pm
34. Bad question. The answer depends on what you mean "as it freezes". Water has a maximum density at 4C, and it lessens density as it cools or heats. Lessen density means expand.
However, water at 12C is considerably less dense than ice, so if you are comparing those two temps, then water contracts "as it freezes". Look at the graph.
You teacher probably wants "true" there.
Chemistry - DrBob222, Tuesday, October 26, 2010 at 4:48pm
32. The melting point of anything is the same as the freezing point. Student's always think they are different but they are the same. If water freezes at 32 F it must also melt at 32 F. So water at 32 F does what? freeze or melt? It depends upon which way the heat is going. If you have it in a freezer it will freeze. If you have it on a table at room temperature, it will melt.
Answer This Question
More Related Questions
- Chemistry - True of False, Amorphous solids have crystal structures.
- Chemistry - Mark all statements that are true....numbers 1⎕ Molecular ...
- science - list as many ways as u can how are crystalline solids connected to ...
- chemistry - Explain the difference between crystalline and amorphous solids
- chemistry - Ionic compounds at room temperature usually exist as solids with ...
- TO: MS SUE SCIENCE HELP - this question has really stumped me but i have tried ...
- chemistry - what happens when solids, liquids, and gases are heated/cooled? Most...
- chemistry - 1) what potential impurities were removed during recrystallzation? 2...
- chemistry - An analysis for copper was performed on two pure solids. One solid ...
- Chemistry - 1)what potential impurities were removed during solventless aldol ...