Posted by Sandi on .
I need to identify the gerund or gerund phrase and identify it as a subject, a predicate noun, a direct object, or an object of a preposition. Or identify the sentence as one with no gerund. I need help with the following sentences.
1. It was time for sleeping.
2. But tossing in bed was all that 14-year old Jenny could do.
3. Why won't that dog stop barking, she thought?
4. Soon she was poring over a story by Edgar Allen Poe.
Thanks for your help in advance.
Sandi (8th grader)
1. "Sleeping" is the gerund, object of the preposition "for."
2. "Tossing" is the gerund, subject.
What do you think are the answers to 3 and 4?