Posted by Navroz on Saturday, October 23, 2010 at 6:29pm.
there are 3 naturally occurring stable isotopes of oxygen:O-16,O-17, O-18. there are 2 naturally occurring stable isotopes of hydrogen: H-1, H-2.how many different water molecules can be made using the various combination's of all the isotopes of hydrogen and oxygen?
- Mathmate, Reiny, Bob Pursley - DrBob222, Saturday, October 23, 2010 at 6:35pm
I'm not good at counting these things. You really need a math man to answer this; however, I count 9. Maybe Mathmate, Reiny, or Bob Pursley will do this right.
- chemistry - bobpursley, Saturday, October 23, 2010 at 8:51pm
You need two H, one O
ways: 3*2*2=12 Three choices on O, two choices each H.
- chemistry - DrBob222, Saturday, October 23, 2010 at 10:32pm
I hate to be dense about this BUT, I can't count but 9.
1 1 16
1 1 17
1 1 18
1 2 16
1 2 17
1 2 18
2 2 16
2 2 17
2 2 18
2 1 16
2 1 17
2 1 18
Which gives 12; however, the last three, considering that they are H2O molecules, are the same as set #2 but reversed. It doesn't make a new molecule of H2O, so I still count only 9.
Answer this Question
More Related Questions
- Chemistry - There are 3 known isotopes of Hydrogen and 3 stable isotopes of ...
- Chemistry - The isotopic abundance of naturally occurring hydrogen is as follows...
- Chemistry - Copper is composed of two naturally occurring isotopes: Cu−63...
- Chemistry - Naturally occurring copper is a mixture of two isotopes. One of ...
- CHEMISTRY HELP !!!! - Which of the following statements is/are CORRECT? 1. ...
- chemistry - Naturally occurring silicon exists as 3 isotopes: 28Si, 29Si, and ...
- chemistry - The atomic mass of chlorine is listed as 35.454 amu on the periodic ...
- chemistry - Gallium is a metal with a wide variety of uses. Some of its ...
- Chemistry - Sorry for posting this again, I dont know if the question was ...
- chemistry - the element boron has two naturally occurring isotopes with masses ...