Posted by Anonymous on Thursday, October 21, 2010 at 9:53pm.
one number is three more than a second number. Three times the first is 7 less than 2 times the second. Find the numbers.
The value of the second number is ___
math - Reiny, Thursday, October 21, 2010 at 10:05pm
second number ---- x
first number ------ x+3
A lot of students have difficulty translating an English inequality statement like "Three times the first is 7 less than 2 times the second" into an equation.
Here is the way I used to teach this: ..
Re-word the statement as
"Three times the first is less than 2 times the second by 7"
now translate that
3(x+3) < 2(x) by 7
let's add that difference of 7 to the smaller side, now they would be equal
3(x+3) + 7 = 2(x)
3x + 9 + 7 = 2x
x = -16
so second number is -16, he first is -13
3 times the first = 3(-13) = -39
2 times the second = 2(-16) = -32
is -39 7 less than -32 ??? YEAHH!
Answer This Question
More Related Questions
- Algebra I - The sum of three numbers is 147. The second number is 4 more than ...
- Math - The sum of three numbers is 301. The second number is 3 less than twelve ...
- Math - Year 10 - Simult. Equations - Q) one number is 9 less than three times a ...
- advance algebra - find three numbers such that the second is 6 less than 3 times...
- algebra - Five times the smallest of three consecutive odd integers is ten more ...
- math - The greater of two numbers is 1 more than twice the smaller. Three times ...
- MS. SUE - MATH HELP PLEASE - The sum of five times a number and twice a second ...
- algebra - Three numbers are such that the first number is 10 less than twice the...
- 10th grade math - The sum of three numbers is 301. The second number is 3 less ...
- Grade 8 Math - Can you write them in Mathematical/numbers form I'll solve them ...