Posted by Anonymous on Thursday, October 21, 2010 at 8:52pm.
a populatioin of bacteria has an initial size of 500. the population doubles every 7 hours.
a) how many bacteria will there be after 10 hours
b) when will there be 3000 bacter?
I keep getting answers that just don't make sense. Can someone do these out for me......its practice, not homework. I have a test tomorrow.
- Calculus - Reiny, Thursday, October 21, 2010 at 9:01pm
I would set my equation as
N = 500(2)^(t/7) , where 7 is the number of hours
N = 500(2)^(10/7) = 1345.9 or 1346 bacteria
b) set 3000 = 500(2)^(t/7)
6 = 2^(t/7)
t/7 = log6/log2
t = 7log6/log2 = 18.1
makes sense ....
after 7 hours 1000
after 14 hours 2000
after 21 hours 4000 , 3000 seems reasonable after 18
- Calculus - Anonymous, Thursday, October 21, 2010 at 9:17pm
sorry I forgot to mention I have to use the equation: p(t)= ce^kt
- Calculus - Reiny, Thursday, October 21, 2010 at 9:25pm
ok, then change it to
N = 500(e)^(kt)
when t = 7
1000 = 500(e)^(7k)
2 = (e)^(7k)
7k = ln2
k = ln2/7 = .09902
N = 500(e)^(.09902t)
now follow the same steps as before
a) let t=10 .... ( I got exactly the same answer as before)
Answer this Question
More Related Questions
- Precalculus - NEED HELP ASAP PLEASE!! A bacteria culture starts with 2000 ...
- calculus - A bacteria culture starts with 900 bacteria and the population ...
- Calculus - Suppose that a population of bacteria triples every hour and starts ...
- CALCULUS - a bacteria culture grows with a constant per capita growth rate. ...
- calculus - a bacteria pop. grows exponentially. There are 1500 bacteria after 3 ...
- Calc - The number of bacteria in a culture is increasing according to the law of...
- precalculus - A bacteria culture initially contains 1500 bacteria and doubles ...
- Pre-Calculus - The population of a particular type of bacteria doubles in number...
- Urgent math - The initial size of a culture of bacteria is 1000. After one hour ...
- Calculus (math) - A bacteria culture grows with constant relative growth rate. ...