Posted by H on Thursday, October 21, 2010 at 12:55am.
how to solve for x when the
restriction is x is greater than or equal to zero but less than 2pi
- Math 12 - Reiny, Thursday, October 21, 2010 at 8:43am
this is a quadratic, it might be easier to see if you let
sinx = t, then we have
2t^2 + t - 6 = 0 which factors to
(2t - 3)(t + 2) = 0
t = 3/2 or t = -2
so sinx = 3/2 or sinx = -2
both cases are not possible since sinx must be between -1 and +1
so your equation has no solution.
- Math 12 - jai, Thursday, October 21, 2010 at 8:57am
let y = sin x
the equation then becomes:
2y^2 + y - 6 = 0
(2y - 3)(y + 2) = 0
y = 3/2 and y = -2
sin x = 3/2, x = 2*pi*n + arcsin 3/2 ; and
sin x = -2 , x = 2*pi*n + arcsin (-2) , where n = integer
*but note that arcsin 3/2 and arcsin (-2) are undefined.
so there,, :)
Answer this Question
More Related Questions
- math - the problem is 2cos^2x + sinx-1=0 the directions are to "use an identity ...
- Math - Solving Trig Equations - Solve each equation for 0 is less than and equal...
- Math/Trig - Solve: sin x - 2sin x cos x = 0 for 0 is less than or equal to x is ...
- trig - please help me with some questions I skipped on a review for our test ...
- Rational Inequality with Absolute Value - Here's a question I'm having trouble ...
- Math - Trig - Double Angles - Prove: sin2x / 1 - cos2x = cotx My Attempt: LS: = ...
- Trigonometry - 4. Find the exact value for sin(x+y) if sinx=-4/5 and cos y = 15/...
- math - solve each equation for 0=/<x=/<2pi sin^2x + 5sinx + 6 = 0? how do ...
- trig - Solve the equation for cos(3theta/2).tan(3theta/2)for greater than or ...
- trig - slove the equation exactly over the interval [0, 2pi) sinx=1-2sin^2x