Posted by Anonymous on Wednesday, October 20, 2010 at 7:17pm.
front end estimation to estimate the sum...like..436+517= ~~~~~~also we have some problems that say use rounding to estimate the sum...like..236+710=....DO WE DO BOTH OF THESE THE SAME WAY??? solve then estimate??? my child has been out from school for a few days sick and missed this. Thanks!
3rd grade math - HAPPY FACE :), Wednesday, October 20, 2010 at 7:32pm
front end estimation: 436+517=400+500=900
rounding: 236+710= 200+700=900
front end estimation:
* Add the digits of the two highest place values
* Insert zeros for the other place values
* Example 1: 4496 + 3745 is estimated to be 8100 by front end estimation (i.e. 4400 + 3700).
* Example 2: 4496 + 745 is estimated to be 5100 by front end estimation (i.e. 4400 + 700).
* Rounding makes numbers that are easier to work with in your head.
* Rounded numbers are only approximate.
* An exact answer generally can not be obtained using rounded numbers.
* Use rounding to get a answer that is close but that does not have to be exact.
How to round numbers
* Make the numbers that end in 1 through 4 into the next lower number that ends in 0. For example 74 rounded to the nearest ten would be 70.
* Numbers that end in a digit of 5 or more should be rounded up to the next even ten. The number 88 rounded to the nearest ten would be 90.
3rd grade math - Anonymous, Wednesday, October 20, 2010 at 8:54pm
attn(happy face)thank you!!
3rd grade math - math, Monday, October 25, 2010 at 9:39am
ashton broke apart a number into 30+7. what number did she start with?
3rd grade math - Anna, Wednesday, November 21, 2012 at 12:27am
use any methond to eastimate each difference
3rd grade math - Anna, Wednesday, November 21, 2012 at 12:30am
use any method estimate 667-651
Answer This Question
More Related Questions
- 5th grade Math - You want to estimate 5.25-3.3. Why would using front-end ...
- Elementary Math - Can you explain what the difference between rounding and front...
- 3rd grade math - i need help!! if the estimate is greater than or equal or 1,500...
- math - You want to estimate 5.25-3.3 why would using front-end estimation tell ...
- math - Can someone please show me how to estimate mixed numbers. An exsample ...
- 5th grade math - Name the compatible numbers used to find the estimate. 1. 725/...
- Math - Melvin estimate 645 + 322 by adding 600 + 300. Is his estimate sum an ...
- math - 1.Estimate 45 x 56 using front-end. 2.Estimate 45 x 56 using rounding.
- 4th grade math - 3. Writing to Explain Use rounding to estimate the product 13...
- math - cleon would like to estimate the difference between$579 and$85.explain ...