Posted by Sue on Sunday, October 17, 2010 at 2:39pm.
A mixture of CaCO3 and MgCO3 weighing 7.85 g was reacted with excess HCL. The reactions are CaCO3+2HCL=CaCl2+H2O+CO2 and MgCO3+2HCl=MgCl2+H2O+CO2. The sample reacted completely to produce 1.94 L CO2 at 25 degrees C and 785 torr. Calculate the percentage of CaCO3 and MgCO3 in the original sample.
chemistry - DrBob222, Sunday, October 17, 2010 at 3:10pm
Two equations in two unknowns; solve simultaneously.
Let X = mass CaCO3
Let Y = mass MgCO3
X + Y = 7.85 grams.
X(moles mass CO2/molar mass CaCO3) + Y(molar mass CO2/molar mass MgCO3) = grams CO2. [Note: YOu will need to use PV = nRT to calculate moles CO2, then convert that to grams CO2.]
Solve for X and Y then apply
%CaCO3 = (mass CaCO3/mass sample)*100 = ??
%MgCO3 = (mass MgCO3/mass sample)*100 = ??
Post your work if you get stuck.
chemistry - Sue, Sunday, October 17, 2010 at 4:52pm
Thank you. But could you explain how you got that equation for solving for x and y? I need to prove my answer.
chemistry - Sue, Sunday, October 17, 2010 at 5:02pm
.819 mol CO2= 30604 g CO2
X= 3.604 g CO2/100.09 g/molCaCO3= .036 mol CaCO3
Y=3.604 g CO2/84.32 g/mol MgCO3= .043 mol MgCO3
I'm stuck. I don't think I did it right.
Answer This Question
More Related Questions
- chemistry help! - A mixture contained CaCO3 and MgCo3. A sample of this mixture ...
- NEED HELP! - A mixture contained CaCO3 and MgCo3. A sample of this mixture ...
- Chemistry - OK I just need help with two final problems that I am stuck on: The ...
- Chemistry - I would really aprreciate if someone could help me, thank you so ...
- Chemistry - Tums tablets contain CaCO3 that reacts with stomach acid as follows...
- Chemistry - A 0.450-gram sample of impure CaCO3(s) is dissolved in 50.0 mL of 0....
- chemistry - Calcium carbonate CaCO3 reacts with stomach acid (HCl, hydrochloric ...
- Chemistry - For the reaction CaCO3(s)+ 2HCl(aq)= CaCl2(aq)+ CO2(g)+ H2O(l) how ...
- chemistry - How many milliliters of 0.237 M HCl are needed to react with 52.2g ...
- Chemistry - which equation represents an oxidation-reduction reaction? 1.HCl+KOH...