Posted by Rosie on Sunday, October 17, 2010 at 11:21am.
A student needs to determine by titration with NaOH the precise %KHP in an unknown sample that is thought to contain approximately 50%KHP. Approximately what mass of sample should the student use in order to use about 20mL of 0.1005 M NaOH to reach the endpoint of the titration?
please help me.
general chemistry - DrBob222, Sunday, October 17, 2010 at 2:47pm
First, determine the approximate number of grams of KHP.
moles = M x L = 0.1005M x 0.020 L = ?? moles NaOH.
moles KHP = moles NaOH.
grams KHP = moles KHP x molar mass KHP = xx grams KHP.
%KHP = (grams KHP/mass sample)*100 = 50
You know grams from the calculations above, substitute into the percent equation; the only unknown is mass sample. [Note: In the real world, especially where an analyst does many titrations in a day, the mass of sample is actually weighed out (to four places) so that the reading on the buret corresponds to the percent X in the sample (done for other titrations in addition to acidity). Saves a lot of time on calculations. Read the buret and write down the percent in the lab book. This coupled with automatic fill and zero burets saves even more time. And in industry, time is money.]
general chemistry - Rosie, Sunday, October 17, 2010 at 4:11pm
thank you very much for your help!
general chemistry - Anonymous, Sunday, October 23, 2011 at 11:05pm
general chemistry - Anonymous, Tuesday, August 4, 2015 at 4:08am
When rearranged, its
.411g KHP x 100
-------------------- = mass
Which equals .822
Answer This Question
More Related Questions
- Chemistry - A Student Performing a lab weighed a 1.0993g sample, containing an ...
- Chemistry - A student titrated 1.852 g of a mixture containing potassium ...
- College Chemistry - "A student weighs 0.347 g of KHP on a laboratory balance. ...
- Chemistry - The Question Is: "A student weighs 0.347 g of KHP on a laboratory ...
- College Chemistry - The Question Is: "A student weighs 0.347 g of KHP on a ...
- chemistry - If the stockroom fails to dry the KHP to remove the waters of ...
- chemistry - a 1.32g sample on unknown containing KHP as a component was titrated...
- chemistry - how do i calculate the NaOH molarity from a titration of KHP and ...
- chemistry - KHP is a monoprotic acid with a molar mass of 204.22 g/mol. The ...
- Chemistry - A student actually used 0.847g sample of impure KHP and the endpoint...