Posted by lisa on Saturday, October 16, 2010 at 2:17am.
A school's administrators are concerned about absenteeism at their school
and the eect it has on students' grades. The following data were compiled, based on a sample of students.
Student's Absent Medium Absent
Grade Infrequently Absent Frequently
Low 1 9 8
Medium 6 35 7
High 8 9 2
a. What is the probability that a randomly selected student will have a low grade?
This would be 1/15 + 9/53 + 8/17 right?
b. What is the probability that a randomly selected student absent frequently?
8/18 + 7/48 + 2/19
c. Are grades and frequency in absent independent events? Why?
Not sure but i think they are dependent
d. Knowing that a randomly selected student has high grade, what is the probability that student is absent frequently?
e. What is the probability that a randomly selected student has either high grade or absent frequently?
I don't know how to calculate this
- probabilityv - PsyDAG, Saturday, October 16, 2010 at 11:31am
a. total of low grade students/grand total of students = 18/85
b. total of frequently absent students/grand total of students
c. Yes,try a Chi-squared (X^2) test to show why
e. Either-or probabilities are found by adding the probabilities of the individual events. Total number of high grade/grand total + total number of absent frequently/grand total
Answer This Question
More Related Questions
- Check answers please Statistics - Suppose that each student in stat. has a 9% ...
- Math Help - Suppose that each student in stat. has a 9% chance of missing class...
- Percentage - On a rainy day,out of 150 students in a school 25 were absent.find...
- math - suppose 8 out of every 20 students are absent from school less than 5 ...
- Math - Suppose 8 out of every 20 students are absent from school less than 5 ...
- math - Suppose 8 out of every 20 students are absent from school less than five ...
- Math - Suppose 8 out of every 20 students are absent from school less than five ...
- math - Attendance records at a school show the number of days each student was ...
- math - there are 13 boys and 14 girls in mrs greens class if 3 of the students ...
- algebra - A middle school student is doing a math project in which she has to ...