Posted by lulu78 on Friday, October 15, 2010 at 5:18am.
At 63.5 degreesC, the vapour pressure of H2O is 23.3kPa and that of ethanol is 53.3kPa. A solution is made by mixing egual masses of H2O and C2H5OH.
a. what is the mole fraction of ethanol in the solution?
b. assuming ideal-solution behaviour, what is the vapour pressure of the solution at 63.5 degreeC.
c. what is the mole fraction of ethanol in the vapour above the solution.
CHEMISTRY - bobpursley, Friday, October 15, 2010 at 8:57am
CHEMISTRY - lulu78, Friday, October 15, 2010 at 10:26pm
thenkyou. i missed reading that pert on that page before. i knew it was something simple.
i now have parts A and B but how do you work out C? i have the mole fraction of ethanol from part A. why is it not the same?
CHEMISTRY - DrBob222, Friday, October 15, 2010 at 11:39pm
The mole fraction of the LIQUID is moles liquid component/total moles liquid.
The mole fraction of the VAPOR is moles vapor component/total vapor moles. Since the vapor pressures are not the same the vapor is more concd in the more volatile component. That's one reason fractional distillation works.
CHEMISTRY - lulu78, Saturday, October 16, 2010 at 2:31am
so do i use the moles i would have from part A? surely not, becayse they just give me the mole fraction of the solution.
what do i use? i have the answer of 0.472- don't know how to get it.
i feel so dumb and have my exam on 23rd.
Answer This Question
More Related Questions
- CHEM - mole fractions - the vapour pressure of pure water at 110 degrees is 142....
- chemistry - What is the percent by volume (% v/v) of a solution made by mixing ...
- chemistry - An aqueous solution contains 64g of ethanol( C2H5OH) in 122 grams of...
- Chemistry - The vapor pressures of ethanol (C2H5OH) and 1-propanol (C3H7OH) are ...
- chemistry - When 25 mL of C2H5OH (density 0.80 g.cm-3) is dissolved in water to ...
- Chemistry - What is the mole fraction of ethanol, C2H5OH, in an aqueous solution...
- college chem - . Jack Daniels Tennessee whiskey is 40.00% ethanol by volume. ...
- Chemistry - A solution is made by mixing equal masses of methanol, CH4O, and ...
- Chemistry #11 - A solution of ethanol (C2H5OH) is prepared by dissolving 35.0 ml...
- chemistry - dimethylglyoxime is used as a reagent in qualitative analysis to ...