Posted by Alexis on Wednesday, October 13, 2010 at 9:48pm.
Arthur (mass 78 kg) and Violet (mass 31 kg) are trying to play on a seesaw. If Violet sits 3.6 m from the fulcrum, at what distance from the fulcrum should Arthur sit?
college physics - drwls, Wednesday, October 13, 2010 at 10:30pm
I am curious what college considers this to be college level.
The product of mass and distance from the fulcrum is the same on both sides, if the seesaw is balanced.
Thus 31 * 3.6 = 78 * X
Solve for X, which will be Arthur's distance in meters.
college physics - Alexis, Wednesday, October 13, 2010 at 11:07pm
So would it be 78*3.6
college physics - Alexis, Wednesday, October 13, 2010 at 11:11pm
Ohio State this is my first physics class I have ever taken.
college physics - drwls, Wednesday, October 13, 2010 at 11:20pm
No. The answer is
X = (31*3.6)/78 = 1.43 meters
college physics - Alexis, Wednesday, October 13, 2010 at 11:29pm
Okay thank you for your help.
Answer This Question
More Related Questions
- Kinesiology - Joey weighs 77 lb and sits on a seesaw at a distance of 30 inches ...
- Physics - A boy with a mass of 40kg is seated a distance of 3.0m from the ...
- physics - Two people (from the 1950s!) sit on opposite sides of a uniform board ...
- Physics?? - Two children sit 2.60 m apart on a very low-mass horizontal seesaw ...
- algebra - To balance a seesaw, the distance, in feet, a person is from the ...
- physics - A seesaw has a mass of 30 kg, a length of 3.0 m, and fulcrum beneath ...
- Physics - A seesaw has a mass of 30 kg, a length of 3.0 m, and fulcrum beneath ...
- Technology - A boy who weighs 30 kilograms sits on one end of a seesaw. On the ...
- physics - A fulcrum is placed under the center of a uniform 4.00m long, 3.00kg ...
- Physics - Suppose the mass of the stick is 200 g, and a single 500-g mass is to ...