Posted by Tokey on Wednesday, October 13, 2010 at 5:18pm.
Im not sure where to factor in the two longer compounds for this problem.
"Rank the given compounds based ontheir relative acidities"
This is the order i thought it was, but this isnt right apparently...
(--- means triple bond, -- means double bond)
- Chemistry - DrBob222, Wednesday, October 13, 2010 at 9:04pm
You didn't post the order you thought was correct. And the problem doesn't say increasing acidity or decreasing acidity.
From least acid to most acid.
H atoms on double and triple bonded carbon are acidic, triple bonds always moreso than double bonded C.
- Chemistry - Tokey, Wednesday, October 13, 2010 at 11:26pm
okay thanks but that was wrong actually
- Chemistry - DrBob222, Wednesday, October 13, 2010 at 11:34pm
Sorry about that. I mixed up the NH3 and CH4
As a series, they go across the periodic table like this.
CH4 NH3 H2O HF with HF being the most acid and CH4 the least acid. Actually, I typed it that way the first time but the computer didn't post it and when I redid it I screwed up.
Answer this Question
More Related Questions
- Relative Acidities - Rank the given compounds on their relative acidity. Here ...
- ochem - list from strongest acid to weakest acid HC(triple bond)CCH3 H2C=CH2 ...
- Organic Chemistry - Rank the given compounds based on their relative Brønsted ...
- Chemistry - Rank the given compounds based on their relative Brønsted acidities...
- Chemisty !! - (a) Why do the densities of most liquids increase as they are ...
- Chemistry - Rank the following 4 compounds in order of lowest to highest ...
- chemistry - Rank the following 3 compounds in terms of increasing boiling point...
- Chemistry - The boiling points of the following compounds increase in the order ...
- Chemistry - (a)What is the bond order of the diatomic molecule BN? (b) Is BN ...
- chemistry - Given the compounds H2S, NH3, and SO2. Determine the order o boiling...