Posted by M.A. on Tuesday, October 12, 2010 at 8:07am.
In the U.S., we often write dates such as July 4, 1776, as 7/4/76. In other countries, the month is given second and the same date is often written as 4/7/76. If you do not know which system is being used, how many dates in a year are ambiguous?
Depends on leap year
Explain how you arrived at that answer.
math word problem - Reiny, Tuesday, October 12, 2010 at 8:24am
If one of the numbers is greater than 12, there is no problem, that cannot represent a month.
so any day with 1 to 12 in either the first or second position, or 12 x 12 = 144
BUT, dates like 1/1/76, 2/2/76, ... 12/12/76 pose no problem
so the number which are ambiguous = 144 - 12 = 132
(I often run into this problem up here in Canada when dealing with correspondence with the US, but not with correspondence from anywhere else.
We have had cases where Canadians who had to buy extra health insurance while traveling in the US, were denied coverage by the US insurance company because they filled in their birth date using the universal system rather than the US system of writing dates )
math word problem - M.A., Tuesday, October 12, 2010 at 8:35am
Thank you soo much for your help.
We lived in Winnipeg for 2 1/2 years.
It was a great experience, but gave us
a new respect for 30 degrees below zero
winters. Having come from the deep south it was a huge adjustment. Now living again in the deep south U.S. but enjoying our memorable experiences in Wpg.
math word problem - Reiny, Tuesday, October 12, 2010 at 8:46am
I have been to Winnipeg only a few times, and only in the summer. Then the opposite was true, +35° C .
Living in the "balmy" southern part of Ontario we have not experienced -30 for several years now. Every new year seems to set a new record was "warmest winter on record".
Answer This Question
More Related Questions
- math - In the U.S. a date such as January 12, 2003 is written 1/12/03, but in ...
- accounting and finance - The dates of importance in connection with a cash ...
- Math - How can I figure the number of days from one date to another? Example: ...
- Math - Which digit (0-9) occurs most often on a calendar for this month. Which ...
- math - How many dates in 2011 are a multiple of 10? (A date in the case is a ...
- writing - what are the adverbs in the sentences & what word does it modify? 1.it...
- Statistics - Use the following dates to compute the ALOS and median LOS and ...
- French 1 - Is this how I would write July 10, 2001 in french? Thanks Le dix ...
- Math - 50% Rule: The repackaged vial or unit dose must have an expiration date ...
- Social Psychology - How true is this statement? The most significant benefits ...