Posted by lulu on Saturday, October 9, 2010 at 7:38am.
Bromobenzene, C6H5Br, and chlorobenzene, C6H5Cl, form essentially ideal solutions in all proportions. At 100°C, the equilibrium vapour pressure of bromobenzene is 137mmHg and that of chlorobenzene is 285mmHg. Calculate the equilibrium vapour pressure above a 17.6% (w/w) solution of bromobenzene in chlorobenzene at a temperature of 100°C
- CHEMISTRY- vapour pressure - drwls, Saturday, October 9, 2010 at 8:02am
Are you sure the 25895 choice is not 258.95?
- CHEMISTRY- vapour pressure - DrBob222, Saturday, October 9, 2010 at 12:59pm
Since the solution is 17.6% in bromobenene, that means 17.6 g/100 g soln OR
17.6 g bromobenzene in a solution made up of 17.6 g bromogenzene and (100-17.6 = 82.4 g chlorobenzene).
Determine moles bromo and moles chloro.
Calculate mole fraction bromo and chloro.
Then vapor pressure of each component is
P = X*Po
You will have one partial pressure for the bromo and one partial pressure for th chlor. Add them for the total pressure. Post your work if you get stuck.
- CHEMISTRY- vapour pressure - lulu, Saturday, October 9, 2010 at 8:29pm
i have 0.112 mol of bromo,
and 0.732 mol chloro,
but i am stuck on the mole fraction.
Do i just do 1-0.112= 0.888 or am i missing a step?
- CHEMISTRY- vapour pressure - lulu, Saturday, October 9, 2010 at 8:40pm
ok, this is what I have.
Xchloro= 1-0.133= 0.867
P=Xbromo*p= 0.133*137= 18.221mmHg
P=Xchloro*p= 0.867*285= 247.095mmHg
so I add 18.221+247.095= 265.316mmHg
Is that right?
- CHEMISTRY- vapour pressure - pickup, Friday, October 15, 2010 at 3:10am
Answer This Question
More Related Questions
- Chemistry - Vapour pressure of ideal solutions at 25c the vapour pressure of ...
- chemistry - Two liquids A and B on mixing form an ideal solution. The vapour ...
- physics - Again, I know I keep posting questions but I'm begging you for help. ...
- chem - at 40 degree C , the vapour pressure of water is 55.3 mm of hg. calculate...
- science - the vapour pressure of pure liquid benzene and toluene are 160mm and ...
- chemistry - water has a vapour pressure of 23.76 torr at 25C.what is the vapour ...
- Chemistry - Find molality of a solution containing non - volatile solute if its ...
- CHEMISTRY - At 63.5 degreesC, the vapour pressure of H2O is 23.3kPa and that of ...
- Chemistry - University - Pentane (C5H12) and hexane (C6H14) form an ideal ...
- Chemistry - Calculate the volume of solution that has a vapour pressure of 31.27...