Posted by Jordan on Friday, October 8, 2010 at 12:07am.
The drawing shows a version of the loop-the-loop trick for a small car. If the car is given an initial speed of 4.5 m/s, what is the largest value that the radius r can have if the car is to remain in contact with the circular track at all times?
physics - drwls, Friday, October 8, 2010 at 12:19am
There is no drawing.
Require that the centripetal force at the top of the loop be equal to M g. Solve for the r that satisfies that requirement, with V determined by conservation of energy.
physics - jamie, Friday, October 8, 2010 at 10:21pm
but you don't know hf or ho, how do you you use the conservation of energy equation?
physics - JJ, Monday, October 11, 2010 at 10:29pm
This is what I found....
When the car is at the top of the track the centripetal
force consists of the full weight of the car.
mv2/r = mg
Applying the conservation of energy between the bottom and the top of the track gives
(1/2)mv^2 + mg(2r) = (1/2)mv0^2
Using both of the above equations
v0^2 = 5gr
r = v0^2/(5g) = (4.5 m/s)^2/(49.0m/s^2) =
Hope that helps
physics - Anonymous, Sunday, February 10, 2013 at 2:54pm
Answer This Question
More Related Questions
- Uni Physics - The drawing shows a version of the loop-the-loop trick for a small...
- physics - The drawing shows a version of the loop-the-loop trick for a small car...
- College Physics - The drawing shows a version of the loop-the-loop trick for a ...
- Circular motion - The drawing shows a version of the loop-the-loop trick for a ...
- physics - rotational motion - A small car of mass, m, is release at height, h, ...
- College Physics - A child's toy consists of a toy car of mass 0.100kg which is ...
- Physics - A car is doing a loop-the-loop. The loop has a radius of .4m. Assume ...
- Physics - A roller coaster works by gravitational energy. The coaster car is ...
- Physics - A roller-coster car starts from rest at the top of a 16 meter hight ...
- physics - The radius of curvature of a loop-the-loop for a roller coaster is 11....