Posted by Lyri on Wednesday, October 6, 2010 at 11:01pm.
Mixed nuts. Oh Nuts! sells pistachio kernels for $6.50 per pound and almonds for $8.00 per pound. How much of each type should be used to make a 50-lb mixture that sells for $7.40 per pound?
So far I have, this:
6.50x + 8 (50 - x) = 7.40 (50)
6.50x + 400 - 8x = 370
-1.50x + 400 = 370
-1.50x = 30
x = 30/=1.50
x = 30 pounds of pistachios
50 - x = 50 - 30 = 20 pounds of almonds.
Can anyone help to let me know if I got his correct or not or please tell me where I went wrong. Math is not one of my strongest subjects and any help would be great.... Thanks in advance........
- Intermediate Algebra (Math) - Jen, Wednesday, October 6, 2010 at 11:08pm
You are good up until here..
-1.50x + 400 = 370 (this is correct)
Then when you subtract 400 from both sides you get
Divide both sides by -1.5
x=20 lbs of pistachios, and 30 lbs of almonds
- Intermediate Algebra (Math) - Reiny, Wednesday, October 6, 2010 at 11:08pm
-1.50x + 400 = 370
-1.5x = -30
x = -30/-1.5 = 20
so 20 pounds of pistachio
and 50-20 or 30 pounds of almonds
Answer This Question
More Related Questions
- Algebra - Mixed nuts. Oh Nuts! sells pistachio kernels for $6.50 per pound and ...
- intermediate algebra - Oh Nuts! sells pistachio kernels for $6.50 per pound and ...
- Intermediate Algebra(Math) - Mixed nuts. Oh Nuts! sells pistachio kernels for $6...
- Algebra - The Nutty Professor sells cashews for $6.75 per pound and Brazil nuts ...
- algebra - walnuts that sell for $3 a pound and macadamia nuts that sell for $4 ...
- Algebra - A grocery store makes a 20-pound mixture of almonds and cashew nuts. ...
- Math - A grocery store wants to make a mixture of nuts consisting of cashews and...
- algebra - Wild rice sells for $6 pound, and plain rice sells for $1 per pound. A...
- algebra - bill blends 5/4 pound of peanuts that sell for $2.50 per pound with 3/...
- algebra - The manager of a bulk foods establishment sells a trail mix for $6 per...