Posted by Rachel on Wednesday, October 6, 2010 at 4:41pm.
A tanker truck carrying 2.01×10^3kg of concentrated sulfuric acid solution tips over and spills its load. The sulfuic acid is 95.0% H2SO4 by mass and has a density of 1.84g/L.
Sodium Carbonate (Na2CO3)is used to neutralize the the sulfuric acid spill. How many kilograms of sodium carbonate must be added to neutralize 2.0*10^3kg of sulfuric acid solution?
Gen Chem 1 - bobpursley, Wednesday, October 6, 2010 at 4:49pm
Good God, what a mess.
Balance the equation, see if it is a 1:1 mole ratio
moles acid= .95*2.01E6g/molmassH2SO4
moles base= mass/molemassNa2CO3
set them equal, solve for mass of sodium carbonate.
Gen Chem 1 - DrBob222, Wednesday, October 6, 2010 at 4:54pm
H2SO4 + Na2CO3 --> H2O + CO2 + Na2SO4
How much H2SO4 is in the load?
2.01 x 10^6 g x 0.95 = ??g H2SO4 (the remainder is water).
Convert g H2SO4 to moles. moles = grams/molar mass
There is 1 mole Na2CO3 required for each mole H2SO4; therefore, moles Na2CO3 = moles H2SO4.
Convert moles Na2CO3 to grams.
g = mols Na2CO3 x molar mass Na2CO3
Gen Chem 1 - Kitty, Wednesday, October 19, 2011 at 12:25am
Gen Chem 1 - Anonymous, Friday, October 12, 2012 at 7:57pm
Answer This Question
More Related Questions
- Chemistry - Acid spills are often neutralized with sodium carbonate. For example...
- science - Concentrated sulfuric acid (18.4 molar H2SO4) has a density of 1.84 ...
- chem - Some sulfuric acid is spilled on a lab bench. It can be neutralized by ...
- Chemistry - Based on the number of moles of H_2SO_4, determine the number of ...
- Fun time - A concentrated sulfuric acid solution is 65.0% H2SO4 by mass and has ...
- helpppp - concentrated sulfuric acid has a density of 1.84g/ml. calculate the ...
- chemistry - What is the molarity of a sulfuric acid solution if 30.00mL of H2SO4...
- chemistry - Calculate (a) the moles and (b) the mass of magnesium carbonate at ...
- Chemistry - You want to neutralize 6 mol of sulfuric acid with 6.0 M sodium ...
- chemistry - Commercially available concentrated sulfuric acid is 18.0 M H2SO4. ...