posted by Franco on .
Can you please check if everything is OK in the following sentences? Thank you.
1) About fifty miles from Kurtz’s station they saw a hut. When they got nearer to it, they found a massage on the firewood urging them to approach cautiously. Marlow also found an old book about seamanship in the broken-down hut which had notes in code written in it.
2) Kurtz spoke English to him since his mother was half-English and his father half-French. He came to Africa with the intention to civilize the savages as he himself wrote in a report about Africa.
3) In other words, he had a highly moral view of the European role in Africa. However, at the end of the same document he urged the Europeans to kill all the natives, whom he called “brutes”.
4) Marlow points out that Kurtz had no morals at all.
5) Because he came with the guns. The natives had never seen anything like that before.
6) Because he wasn’t strong enough to face the solitude of the jungle by himself. He had to rely on his own character but he was consumed (overwhelmed) by the complete solitude and silence which characterized the jungle.
1. comma after "station" -- "message" (not "massage"!) -- did the hut have notes in code??
2. delete "since" and insert "because" -- "with the intention of civilizing" (not "to civilize"
5. "Because he came with the guns." = fragment, not a complete sentence
6. Do you see the fragment here? Also, comma after "character"