Posted by benji on Tuesday, October 5, 2010 at 11:47pm.
A sample of solid KCl (potassium chloride) weighing 0.500 g is mixed with an unweighed sample of solid MgCl2 (magnesium chloride) and the mixture is then completely dissolved in water to form a clear solution. An aqueous solution of AgNO3 (silver nitrate) is then added to this mixture. A reaction occurs and insoluble solid AgCl (silver chloride) is precipitated. The equation for the reaction is as follows:
KCl(aq) + MgCl2(aq)+ 3AgNO3(aq) KNO3(aq)+ Mg(NO3)2(aq)+ 3AgCl(s)
When the reaction is over, both of the original chlorides, KCl and MgCl2, are completely used up. Analysis shows that 8.486 g of AgCl has been produced. Find the mass of the MgCl2 sample used to make the solid mixture.
Use the following atomic masses: Ag = 107.87, Cl = 35.45, K = 39.10, Mg = 24.31, N = 14.01
- AP Chem - DrBob222, Wednesday, October 6, 2010 at 12:03am
Wouldn't this work. Check my thinking.
Calculate how much AgCl can be pptd from 0.500 g KCl. That will be
0.500 g KCl x (molar mass AgCl/molar mass KCl) = ?? g AgCl.
Subtract 8.486 - ??g AgCl from the above calcn to arrive at the amount AgCl that must be due to MgCl2 alone.
Then convert g AgCl that must be due to MgCl2 to g MgCl2 and you have it solved. I did a very quick quickie on the numbers and came up with approximately 2.7 grams MgCl2 but you need to check that carefully.
- AP Chem - benji, Wednesday, October 6, 2010 at 11:12am
I ended up getting 1.24 g?
- AP Chem - DrBob222, Wednesday, October 6, 2010 at 4:46pm
My answer, after reviewing it, is 2.499 grams MgCl2.
I used 95.21 for molar mass MgCl2.
143.32 for molar mass AgCl
74.55 for molar mass KCl.
- AP Chem - benji, Wednesday, October 6, 2010 at 6:31pm
i keep getting 1.24 g i first coverted 0.500g KCl to g of AgCl g and i got 2.88 g. then i subtracted that from 8.486 and i got 5.602 AgCl. then i converted 5.602 g of AgCl to g of MgCl2 and i got 1.24 g.
are your numbers similar to that?
Answer This Question
More Related Questions
- chemistry - A sample of solid KCl (potassium chloride) weighing 0.500 g is mixed...
- Chemistry - A 10.00 gram solid sample consisting of a mixture of sodium chloride...
- chemistry - a mixture containing only sodium chloride and potassium chloride has...
- Ap Chemistry - a mixture contains only sodium chloride and potassium chloride. a...
- Chemistry - Science - A 6.70 g sample of a binary mixture of silver (I) nitrate...
- chemistry - write a balanced chemical reaction for the reaction of aqueous ...
- Chem - If a .750g sample of magnesium chloride is dissolved in water and then ...
- Chemistry - A sample of a mixture containing only sodium chloride (NaCl) and ...
- Chemistry - hellppp please i have a test on this on mondayy im so screwed A ...
- Chemistry - A mixture contains only CuCl2 and FeCl3. A 0.7391 g sample of the ...