Posted by Anonymous on Monday, October 4, 2010 at 9:45pm.
a 17-foot ladder leans against a wall. if the ladder is 8 feet from the base of the wall, how far is it from the bottom of the wall to the top of the ladder
- algebra - Mindy, Monday, October 4, 2010 at 9:53pm
imagine a triangle. The diagonal side is 17 ft. the bottom is 8 ft. Use the pythagorean theorem to find the third side. so
17^2 minus 8^2 = 225. then take the square root of 225, which is 15
- algebra - Ms. Sue, Monday, October 4, 2010 at 9:55pm
Let c = the length of the ladder. b = the distance from the wall. Use the Pythagorean theorem.
a^2 + b^2 = c^2
a^2 + 8^2 = 17^2
a^2 + 64 = 289
a^2 = 225
a = 15
- algebra - Mindy, Monday, October 4, 2010 at 9:58pm
my way worked too
- algebra - Ms. Sue, Monday, October 4, 2010 at 10:06pm
Yep. It's always good to show students more than one way to solve a problem.
Btw -- I hadn't seen your post when a posted mine.
- algebra - Ms. Sue, Monday, October 4, 2010 at 10:07pm
*I posted mine.
- algebra - Mindy, Monday, October 4, 2010 at 10:08pm
oh ok :)
- algebra - Anonymous, Sunday, May 15, 2016 at 11:23am
A ladder with length 20m. stands vertically against a wall. How much further should the lower end of the end of the ladder be moved so that its upper end descends 4 metre?
- algebra - Rick, Wednesday, October 12, 2016 at 9:41pm
My 20 foot ladder was about 8 feet from the wall and by the time my face busted on the rock below I didn't do any measuring.
I drove to the hospital and got many stitches.
Answer This Question
More Related Questions
- math - A ladder leans against a brick wall, The top of the ladder touches the ...
- algebra - A ladder is resting against a wall. The top of the ladder touches the ...
- Pre-Calculus - A ladder leans leans against a building that has a wall slanting ...
- Algebra 1 - A ladder is resting against a wall. The top of the ladder touches ...
- Calculus - The top of a 24 foot ladder, leaning against a vertical wall, is ...
- Calculus - A 10 foot ladder leans against a 20 foot wall. Someone begins pushing...
- Calculus - a 5m ladder rests against a vertical wall. The top of the ladder ...
- algebra - 10 ft ladder leans against wall its foot braced 3 ft from wall's base...
- Calculus - A 17 foot ladder is leaning against a wall. The bottom of the ladder...
- Calculus - A ladder 15 feet long leans against a vertical wall. Supppose that ...