Posted by amber on Monday, October 4, 2010 at 8:49am.
Oxalic acid (H2C2O4) can be used to remove rust according to the following balanced equation:
Fe2O3 + 6H2C2O4 --> 2Fe(C2O4)33- +3H2O + 6H+
Calculate the number of grams of rust that can be removed by 5.00 x 102 ml of a 0.122M solution of oxalic acid.
I know i need to multiply the # of moles*6*160 (which is the molecular mass)
0.061 moles of oxalic acid.
so is it .061*6*160= 585.6
is that right i'm pretty sure its not
chemistry - Dr Russ, Monday, October 4, 2010 at 9:05am
The oxalic acid solution contains
0.500 x 0.122 moles of oxalic acid.
As 6 moles of oxalic acid react with 1 moles of rust then 0.500 x 0.122 moles will react with
0.500 x 0.122 x 1/6 moles of rust
the MM for rust is 159.6882 g mole^-1
so the mass of rust is
0.500 x 0.122 x 1/6 x 159.6882 g
(3 sig figs are appropriate int he answer)
chemistry - amber, Monday, October 4, 2010 at 9:53am
Your answer leaves me with 1.63 so is this wrong moles oxalic acid = 0.500 L x 0.122 M=0.610
the ratio between Fe2O3 and H2C2O4 is 1 : 6
moles Fe2O3 = 0.610/6=0.102
mass Fe2O3 = 0.102 mol x 159.69 g/mol=16.3 g
It left me with 16.3
chemistry - Dr Russ, Monday, October 4, 2010 at 10:01am
You error is here
0.500 L x 0.122 M = 0.061 moles and NOT 0.610 moles
I got 1.63 g agreed
chemistry - amber, Monday, October 4, 2010 at 10:06am
oh okay i got it
Answer This Question
More Related Questions
- chemistry - Oxalic acid (H2C2O4) can be used to remove rust according to the ...
- Chemistry - 4.0 gram of ferrous ammonium sulphate, FeSO4*(NH4)2SO4 * 6H2O, is ...
- Chem - 4.0 gram of ferrous ammonium sulphate, FeSO4*(NH4)2SO4 * 6H2O, is used. ...
- chemistry - Am I correct? Deterioration of buildings, bridges, and other ...
- chemistry - Deterioration of buildings, bridges, and other structures through ...
- Chemistry - I did a lab where we had to determine the iron content in ore...i am...
- Chemistry - How do you find the Ka1 and Ka2 of oxalic acid when it is in a ...
- chemistry - oxalic acid, h2c2o4, is a weak acid capable of providing two H3O+ ...
- Chemistry - Hi, could someone please take a look at my solution to this problem ...
- Chemistry - 1. Iron oxide and carbon monoxide react according to the following ...