Posted by Amy~ on Sunday, October 3, 2010 at 1:50pm.
In the Minister's Black Veil by Nathaniel Hawthrone.
What reasons does Hooper give for not wanting to remove his veil?
I came up with one reason: that there is a Black Veil on everyone
But what will the other reasons be?
"Why do you tremble at me alone?" cried he, turning his veiled face round the circle of pale spectators. "Tremble also at each other! Have men avoided me, and women shown no pity, and children screamed and fled, only for my black veil? What, but the mystery which it obscurely typifies, has made this piece of crape so awful? When the friend shows his inmost heart to his friend; the lover to his best beloved; when man does not vainly shrink from the eye of his Creator, loathsomely treasuring up the secret of his sin; then deem me a monster, for the symbol beneath which I have lived, and die! I look around me, and, lo! on every visage a Black Veil!"
English - Amy~, Sunday, October 3, 2010 at 1:50pm
That's the paragraph where I have to find the reasons
English - Writeacher, Sunday, October 3, 2010 at 2:02pm
I have never understood this story very well. Maybe it's because I have never understood why the New England colonists did what they did, believed what they believed, etc.
There may be something in one of these sites that can help you with this:
Read especially the second and third articles. Skip all the cheat sites (those that provide essays for you to buy)!!
English - bobpursley, Sunday, October 3, 2010 at 2:32pm
Frankly, I never understood it either. He claimed it represented a cloak of sin covering him, and others as well. At the maidens funeral, he claimed it prevented the dead maiden from looking on him.
I suspect Hawthorne had something in mind, but I know it not.
English - GuruBlue, Sunday, October 3, 2010 at 2:41pm
The hint is that he "sinned" with the maiden and his guilt would be written across his face.
English - Writeacher, Sunday, October 3, 2010 at 3:24pm
Aha! I don't remember that, but it'd make sense. Maybe I should read that story again!
Answer This Question
More Related Questions
- English - I don't get what is ironic about this phrase from The Minister's Black...
- poetry - Does the books: "The Scarlet Letter", "The minister’s Black Veil", and...
- English 11 - Write a paragraph summarizing lines 100-250 in the book called the ...
- 11th grade-Amercain Lit - I need some help editing this paper. Public’s right to...
- English - 27. In the story “In the Shadow of War,” why did Omovo refuse money ...
- Afghan Culture - What is he significance of the burqa, face veil, and hajib?
- businsess law - Under what circumstance would a court pierce the veil of a ...
- Ethics - Rawlsian 'state of nature' implies? (a) a veil of ignorance (b) social ...
- english - I read the story from behind the veil, but did not really understand ...
- english? - Im I stating a clear purpose for my paper? In this study, I will ...