Posted by Jimmy Zanes on Thursday, September 30, 2010 at 1:25pm.
11. If an audience is opposed to what you have to say or resistant to a change you are suggesting, a good approach is to:
be as ambiguous as possible to avoid offending the members of the audience.
begin the message with something both you and the audience can agree upon.
try to convince the audience that your solution is perfect and that there are no other alternatives.
deliver all aspects and details about the message at once to get it all out in the open.
12. Which of the following is NOT one of the three steps to take when audience benefits are hard to identify or develop?
Identify the feelings, fears, and needs that may motivate your audience.
Identify the objective features of your product or policy that could meet the needs you've identified.
Describe the drawbacks of the alternatives.
Show how the audience can meet their needs with the features of the policy or product.
13. "It is the case that good communicators advance more quickly in the company." Which of the following would be the best revision of this sentence?
"It is the case that good communicators advance faster in the company."
"It is true that good communicators advance more rapidly in the company."
"Evidence has shown that good communicators advance more rapidly in the company."
"Good communicators advance more quickly in the company."
14. In which of the following situations do compound sentences work BEST?
When you use a semicolon between the clauses
When you want to emphasize a logical relationship
When your subject matter is complicated or full of numbers
When the ideas in the two clauses are closely related
15. Based on the connotation, which sentence conveys criticism?
"He assumed that everyone had read the minutes from last month's meeting."
"She is being obstinate and will not accept the terms of the contract."
"Be very cautious when entering the construction site."
"We are going to stand firm on our offer."
16. Which of the following would be the best revision of these sentences? "Our present receivables are in line with last year's. However, they exceed the budget. The reason they exceed the budget is that our goal for receivable investment was very conservative."
"Receivables are in line with last year's. They exceed the budget. Our goal for receivable investment was very conservative."
"The receivable investment was very conservative."
"Our present receivables are in line with last year's because they exceed the budget."
"Our present receivables, while in line with last year's, exceed the budget because our goal for receivable's days out was too aggressive."
17. Which of the following sentences is ACCURATE in terms of the words it uses?
"There is a large amount of people at the convention."
"We have to decide between the four options available to us."
"Fewer people will attend the conference this year because of the higher costs."
"The speech had a profound affect on the audience."
18. Which of the following is NOT an example of parallel structure?
"Yoga can help you develop flexibility, reduce stress, and increase relaxation."
"Learn how to analyze business audiences, improve your style, and edit thoroughly."
"You are all encouraged to come and share ideas, express concerns, and ask questions."
"You can pay by credit card, check, or just fill out a payroll deduction card."
19. Which of the following sentences uses passive voice appropriately?
"Your order was shipped yesterday and should arrive by Friday."
"The shipping clerk sent your order yesterday and it should arrive by Friday."
"The decision was made after much debate and deliberation."
"An announcement about the company takeover will be made by the president later today."
20. Which statement correctly identifies the main benefit of writing a paragraph using the deductive order strategy?
You can present any kind of evidence you wish to use.
The reader knows from the outset what your main point is so he or she is prepared to receive the evidence you provide to back up your idea.
It is an effective technique if you want to entice the reader into reading more.
The topic sentence acts as the concluding sentence.
Business Communication 1 - Ms. Sue, Thursday, September 30, 2010 at 1:26pm
Jimmy/David -- Please do not switch screen names. We know who you are.
Jiskha is not a test-answering site. We'll be glad to HELP you, but do not do the work for you.
Business Communication 1 - mar, Tuesday, June 21, 2011 at 1:41pm
Business Communication 1 - sheldon, Sunday, December 2, 2012 at 10:49pm
ANSWERS to Questions:
Business Communication 1 - Anonymous, Sunday, January 19, 2014 at 3:28pm
#18 correct answer is D, you can pay by credit card, check..
Answer This Question
More Related Questions
- Business Communication - If an audience is opposed to what you have to say or ...
- business - If an audience is opposed to what you have to say or resistant to a ...
- business english - many organizational situaions involve an audience that ...
- Effective Business Communication - For effective, written business communication...
- Business Communication - Many organizational situations involve an audience that...
- BUSINESS COMMUNICATION - what are the 5 strategies in overcoming communication ...
- Business Communication - While having breakfast with a friend she tells you that...
- english - Could someone check mty work? Which of the following would not be a ...
- record ways you would organize information for inf - Although all business ...
- Business Communication - When an audience feels your message is unimportant to ...