Posted by mysterychicken on Thursday, September 30, 2010 at 12:46pm.
17. Which of the following was designed to ensure that the President would not gain dictatorial powers over government?
a. the system of checks and balances
b. the Elastic Clause
c. the Electoral College
d. the Cabinet
System of checks and balances gave each branch the power to check, or stop, the others in certain ways.
Electoral College- group of electors
Cabinet- Officials that head the major departments of the executive branch.
Elastic Clause- a statement in the U.S. Constitution (Article I, Section 8) granting Congress the power to pass all laws necessary and proper for carrying out the enumerated list of powers.
US History - Ms. Sue, Thursday, September 30, 2010 at 12:49pm
The elastic clause was one of the several checks and balances written in the Constitution. This system is designed to keep any individual (President) or group (Congress, Supreme Court) from having too much power. Each branch of government is checked by the other two branches, thus balancing power among the three branches.
US History - mysterychicken, Thursday, September 30, 2010 at 12:55pm
US History - Ms. Sue, Thursday, September 30, 2010 at 1:03pm
Answer This Question
More Related Questions
- U.S. History - please tell me if these are right or not. my choice are in CAPS 1...
- US History - 14. New France was shaped mainly by a. raising cash crops b. the ...
- Civics - Why did the framers of the constitution include the system of checks ...
- government - the debate over the powers of the presidency is essentially a ...
- Social studies - 3) which of the following is an advantage of a presidential ...
- check my work - 3. Which of the following is an advantage of a presidential ...
- American government - Which of the following is an advantage of a presidential ...
- government - 27. Understanding Concepts Answer each of the following questions ...
- American Government - 5. Which of the following is an example of checks and ...
- History - Congress may impeach judges and the president is example of what ...