Posted by kajsa on Wednesday, September 29, 2010 at 1:55pm.
The prompt states "Note the irony in Nadine Gordimer's Once Upon a Time. Argue to what affect and how successfully irony is used and what it accomplishes."
I know that the irony lies in the fact that Gordimer starts the fairy tale by stating that she hates fairy tales and that the boy dies in his parent's effort to protect him, but I'm sort of missing the mark as far as Gordimer's cultural relevance. I know it refers to the Apartheid but how/why?
Also I'm having trouble formulating a thesis statement
english - SraJMcGin, Wednesday, September 29, 2010 at 1:57pm
Try some of these links:
english - kajsa, Wednesday, September 29, 2010 at 2:49pm
That doesn't help at all. I know how to google.
English - Writeacher, Wednesday, September 29, 2010 at 3:27pm
Did you google irony in Nadine Gordimer's Once Upon a Time yet? You need that word "irony" in the search terms to find things. There are a few in the search results below, but you would have to judge whether various answers are worth checking out or not.
When you ask a question about a particular work, you run the risk of asking about something that none of us has read. I've never read this, so the best I'd ever be able to do is a search results link.
Answer This Question
More Related Questions
- English - What is the irony in "Happy Event" by Nadine Gordimer?
- english - Similarities between The Storm by Mcknight & Once upon a time by ...
- English - What role, according to Dessner, does irony play in the story A&P by ...
- English - Anne Bradstreet's "The Author to Her Book" I have to explain the irony...
- english literatue - the title of the story"Roman Fever' is an example of a. ...
- English: Orwell 1984 - Is this a right explanation to this quote and what else ...
- english - Is this examples of Irony and Juxtaposition? In that three foot pile ...
- Short Story (Happy Event by Nadine Gordimer) - I have already found the ...
- English - this question is for the short story lamb to the slaughter there are ...
- English - Satire uses __to deal with serious situation? Answers are Humor,irony ...