Posted by stacy on Wednesday, September 29, 2010 at 1:31pm.
magnesium is a valuble metal used in alloys in batteries and in manufacture of chemicals it is obtaine mostly in sweater which is about 1.3g mg for every kilogram of sweater assume that the sweater has a density of 1.03g/ml calculate the volume of the sweater in liters to the exavt 8.0x10 to the power of 4 tons of mg give the answer to 3 sig figs
- Chemistry - DrBob222, Wednesday, September 29, 2010 at 1:39pm
You need to do several things to help us help you.
1. Are you trying to spell sea water? I didn't know Mg could be obtained from sweaters. I wear sweaters when I'm cold.
2. 1.3gmg means what?
3. define exavt.
4. Start sentences with a capital letter and end them with periods or question marks; otherwise, we can't tell what is going on with all of the sentences running together.
- Chemistry - stacy, Wednesday, September 29, 2010 at 1:42pm
mg is magnesium yes thats seawater sorry
exavt is supposed to be exact
- Chemistry - DrBob222, Wednesday, September 29, 2010 at 1:55pm
Please note that mg is milligram while Mg is magnesium.
I think the word you want for exavt is extract; i.e., how much sea water must be used to extract 8 x 10^4 tons Mg from sea water.
Convert 8.0 x 10^4 tons to pounds and from there to grams. There are 2000 lbs in a ton and 453.6 grams in a lb. This will give you grams Mg needed.
Then use proportions to calculate grams sea water needed. Finally, convert g sea water to volume using mass = volume x density. Post your work if you get stuck.
- Chemistry - christine, Wednesday, September 29, 2010 at 2:17pm
ok so 8.0x10^4 = 80000 tons
80000 = 176 369 809.75 pound
=80 000 000 001 grams
m = vxd = 80000x1.03g/mg
- Chemistry - DrBob222, Wednesday, September 29, 2010 at 3:33pm
80,000 tons x 2,000 lb/ton = 1.6 x 10^8 lbs
1.6 x 10^8 lbs x (453.6 g/lb) = 7.257 x 10^10 grams Mg.
Now use a proportion to convert grams Mg you need to g sea water.
Convert g sea water to volume using density.
- Chemistry - Anonymous, Wednesday, September 29, 2010 at 3:51pm
Answer this Question
More Related Questions
- Math - Joan bought a sweater at a 1/4 off sale. The regular price of the sweater...
- Math - Jack bought a sweater at the sale price of $25. The original cost of the ...
- English - Identify the incorrectly punctuated sentence. A. Reesa is wearing a ...
- Algebra 1 - A company buys a sweater for $14 and marks it up 90%. It later ...
- Math - Marty is a cheerleader. His school colors are red,white,and blue. Marty's...
- Math - The regular price of a sweater is $32. For a sale, the price of the ...
- math - Heidi has a brown pair and a gray pair of slacks; a brown blouse, a ...
- math - Heidi has a brown pair and a gray paper of slacks a brown blouse, yellow ...
- metals - Are you see the new work of magnesium metal? (magneisum,com) Magnesium ...
- word problem - Heidi has a brown pair and a gray pair of slacks; a brown blouse...